Why You Should Binge-Watch Netflix’s ‘Queer Eye’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When Queer Eye for the Straight Guy aired on Bravo in 2003, I was only 7-years-old, but thanks to my parents’ laidback parenting style, I remember watching almost every episode. I like to think my openness and acceptance of diversity stems from me watching television shows like Queer Eye at such a young age. The show featured five gay men, dubbed the Fab Five, who helped rebrand cis-gender men’s wardrobes, homes and ultimately their lives. When I initially read about the show coming back as a Netflix original, I was little apprehensive, since I have many opinions on television revivals.

I decided to give the new Queer Eye a chance, though, and I’m so glad I did. The “original show was fighting for tolerance — “This fight is for acceptance,” said Tan France, style expert — and it succeeds in so many ways.

Here are three reasons you should be watching Netflix’s Queer Eye.

There’s a variety of issues discussed

The Fab Five is a cast of men with various backgrounds. Karamo Brown, the culture expert, is a man whom you might notice as the host of the MTV show Are You the One? and that he was also on the MTV reality series The Real World: Philadelphia in 2004, becoming the first out gay black man on reality TV. In the episode “Dega Don’t, Brown brilliantly brings up the subject of police brutality with a conservative police officer. Tan France is a Pakistani British man from Utah who is able to touch on the cultural norms expected of Indian men, and Bobby Berk, the interior designer, brings to light the religious aspects of being gay in church. The issues tackled are not just LGBTQ+ issues, making it relatable to all.

You’ll laugh until you’ll cry

Each of the guys has a sense of humor, making the tougher situations lighthearted. One person in particular will have you laughing so hard your stomach will ache, though — Jonathan Van Ness is the the show’s residential groomer, but he’s also the funniest guy. Every “Yas Queen” and Beyoncé video reenactment is worth rewinding.

They’re helping more than just the straight guys on the show

The original show aired at a time before marriage equality when gay people were less accepted in American society. Since times have changed, so has the premise of the show, truly making it a show for everyone. That is also part of the reasoning behind the show being called just Queer Eye and not Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Antoni Porowski, food expert, said they’re helping everybody and being more inclusive. In the “To Gay or Not Too Gay” episode, the Fab Five helps a gay man come out to his step-mother – that’s sure to have you ugly crying.

The fresh faces and new issues tackled are sure to hook you in. Just make sure you have a box of tissues nearby, because I can promise you will cry your eyes out.