Why You Need to Visit Murphy, North Carolina This Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This spring break ditch the crowded beaches and head to a mountain oasis. Murphy, North Carolina is the perfect travel destination for anyone searching for relaxation, adventure, and everything in between.

Murphy is a small-town right at the tip of North Carolina. It’s homey, welcoming and has loads of history.

With Murphy being my hometown, I am a little biased, but I’m sure you will love it as much as I do.

With its scenic views and yummy restaurants, it has the perfect blend of activities and atmospheres that proves there is something for everyone.

One of my favorite things to do in Murphy is to explore the river walk.

It has multiple entrances scattered around the town and it is the perfect way to spend part of your day.

The river walk has boardwalks running throughout most of the trail, but there are a few spots that have you walking through nature.

It is a very easy trail with little elevation, yet you still get to see two beautiful rivers, flowers, a historic bridge, and breathtaking greenery.

Depending on how fast you walk, or if you’re stopping for pictures, the trail can take one to two hours to complete.

The Henn movie theater is in the heart of downtown Murphy.

If you are looking for a cheap and fun activity to fill up your time, this is the place to be!

Tickets are only $5 and food is on the less expensive side, too.

Coming from a town where movie tickets are $13, this is a steal!

It’s an old and traditional movie theater with classic movie snacks and rows and rows of seats. 

Also, in downtown Murphy there are many cute and unique shops.

There are old antique stores, camping and outdoor supply stores, boutiques and even a prom dress store!

Even if you are past prom age, you should still roam through the store and see how the locals of this small-town dress up!

Murphy doesn’t have any huge malls, but that’s something that makes it so special.

Roam around to see all the quirky and price friendly shops and stop for a bite to eat at one of the locally owned restaurants scattered around the stores.

Just a few minutes away from the downtown hustle and bustle is one of my favorite places in Murphy: Sweet Tooth!

Sweet Tooth is the destination for all things yummy.

It is a drive-thru ice cream, milkshake, slushy and food joint!

For food they have the essentials like hot dogs, burgers and nachos.

I order a classic soft serve chocolate and vanilla swirl, and man is it refreshing!

For just a few bucks you can feed you and your friends.

Whether you prefer to sit down at one of their picnic benches or do a quick drive-thru, Sweet Tooth is a must when visiting Murphy.

Being in North Carolina, there are so many beautiful sights to see in and around Murphy.

If the river walk isn’t adventurous enough for you, you can drive anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes and go on a challenging, yet exhilarating hike.

One of my personal favorites is about an hour and a half from Murphy, but even if it was longer that would’ve been okay with me.

The drive anywhere in North Carolina is always so amazing.

There are multiple mountain ranges, towering trees and calming creeks.

Bald River Falls is the name of the trail; and not only do you get a workout, you get to see one of the most gorgeous waterfalls you will ever see.

If none of these places or activities tickle your fancy, don’t fret.

Murphy has museums, historic libraries, amazing restaurants, art galleries and so much more.

Instead of taking the traditional tropical and beachy spring break, try something new and head up to the mountains, it’s good for the soul. I promise you won’t regret it!

Journalism major at the University of Florida.