Culture > Digital

Why We Should All Be Like Noodle: The Importance of Taking Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The feeling of opening Canvas and seeing the dreaded list of assignments you have to complete during the week is one that is far from unfamiliar to many of us. From the multiple classes we must attend, to the essays that have to be written and the clubs and extracurriculars we committed to, it is easy to be overwhelmed by how much there is to do. Often, we put off that list of tasks by opening TikTok, and, recently, our For You Pages have been flooded by a lovable dog named Noodle.

Noodle is a 13-year-old pug who has taken the hearts of many. Rolling Stone writes that he has become a pop culture icon who is “…known globally as a bellwether for the national mood, thanks to his owner Jonathan Graziano making TikToks determining whether it will be a ‘Bones Day’ — i.e., if Noodle stands up on his mat — or a No Bones Day (if he falls down).”

As college students who are constantly overworked, many of us have jokingly attributed how productive we are during a given day to Noodle’s mood, but we have failed to realize that we may actually need a “No Bones Day.”

Hustle culture is extremely prominent in college, leaving students to sacrifice their health and wellness for it. Taylor’s University writes that “in today’s standard, hustle culture can be defined as the state of overworking to the point where it becomes a lifestyle.” Hustle culture in the university setting as a constant series of “go, go, go” is incredibly harmful as it promotes academics and constantly being busy as the number one priority toward achieving success – leaving little to no time for our personal lives. This is when we must learn to take a step back and be more like Noodle.

“A no bones day is a day to implement self-care and do activities that are more inward-looking,” Graziano explained. Like Noodle, we must learn that giving ourselves breaks, whether it’s a few hours or even taking a day off, is crucial in maintaining a healthy balance.

There are so many benefits that come with taking breaks, especially as college students, that Noodle would completely approve of:

1. Taking breaks allows you to recover from stress and boosts your performance

Hustle culture creates a buildup of stress that eventually halts our performance and productivity. Recovering from stress, whether it is caused by school, work or anything else is a key aspect in improving your performance. Recovering from stress allows your mind and body to return to its baseline and promote your performance later. 

2. Breaks can prevent decision fatigue

Decision fatigue occurs when an individual makes too many decisions in a given time period, so the person’s ability to make additional decisions becomes worse – often leading to “simplistic decision-making and procrastination.” Taking a step back from this hustle culture and constant series of decisions allows us to make better decisions in the long run and can lead to better outcomes.

3. Breaks restore motivation

A tendency among college students is to feel burnt out and to lose sight of what long-term goals are most important for them. We can attribute a lot of this to hustle culture and the feeling of constantly needing to work towards a goal, which makes us question if it is even worth it in the end. Taking a step back and giving yourself a break to realize why you are doing all of this is one of the best things you can do to restore your motivation.

4. Taking breaks improves your focus and memory retention.

The continuous state of “go, go, go” especially with studying, is not as effective as we believe it to be. Research shows that spacing out your learning can enhance memorization as it “reinforces hippocampal and neocortical associations that were previously practiced.” Taking breaks allows your brain to make more lasting connections that will improve your focus and memory.

As an overworked society, we fail to realize the value of our downtime and the importance of taking a step back from our daily tasks. Hustle culture in college progressively grows more intense, and it is important to realize the value of taking breaks. As students, we should look to Noodle and understand that it is okay to take a step back and have a “no bones day.” Whether you take a nap, engage in your favorite hobby or journal, escaping the constant “go, go, go” cycle in our lives will allow us to realize what really matters in the end.

Anita is a second-year public health and biology major with a minor in health disparities on the pre-med track! She has a passion for promoting equity in the medical field and hopes to share this through her writing. When she's not busy writing or studying you can often find her taking cycle classes, travelling, bullet journaling, and reading!