Why Sunscreen Should be a Part of Your Daily Regimen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For years, my morning routine consisted of brushing my teeth, styling my hair, picking out an outfit and fixing my makeup. All in all, it was a pretty basic routine. Looking back, I never really paid much attention to my skin in the morning, except for just slapping some foundation on and spraying myself all over with perfume. But this past year, I started to notice that my skin did not look very healthy. Seeking glowing, soft skin, I began to research ways to improve the appearance and health of my skin, and this led me to sunscreen.

We all know we need to wear sunscreen when out in the sun for an extended period of time in order to prevent sunburn. In reality, we should all be wearing sunscreen every day. Each day, when we go outside, our skin is exposed to the sun. According to SpeakingofWomensHealth.com, sun damage can occur to our skin when it’s only briefly exposed, even though there may be no visible sunburn.

Sun damage has a number of harmful effects. For one, it can lead to skin cancer. It can also lead to premature aging. The sun can cause wrinkles, age spots and coarse skin. According to About Health, 90 percent of premature skin aging comes from the sun. Want to keep your youthful skin forever? Wear sunscreen.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most Americans do not partake in the daily use of sunscreen. The American Academy of Dermatology says a 2013 study found that only about 30 percent of women use sunscreen daily.  

Why do so few women use a product that is widely thought to be one of the best ways to prevent skin aging and skin cancer? I cannot speak for everyone, but I believe it has to do with how difficult sunscreen can be. I will admit that I used to find sunscreen a bit of a hassle to wear, so I did not wear it. It was a hassle to rub on, it was greasy and then there was the weird smell. However, sunscreens are starting to become more bearable and easier to use. There are currently plenty of products on the market that are not greasy, not smelly and much easier to use. Cosmopolitan provides a list of some of the best sunscreens. For me, I love lotions that have built-in SPF. This way, I am moisturizing my skin while also protecting it from the sun.

I am happy to say that my morning routine now consists of applying sunscreen. I concentrate the product mainly on my face, and then I apply it to the other parts of my body that will be exposed to the sun on that particular day. When I first began the daily usage of sunscreen, I knew that, though I may not see results in the short term, I would eventually be glad that I started using it so early, as the sunscreen will prevent premature skin aging and lower the risk of skin cancer.

Ladies, do not take the risk of early wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer. Slather on that sunscreen — your skin will thank you later!

Photo credit: Page Pink

Her Campus UFL Blogger