This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Less than a year ago, I had three succulents to my name. When I left my apartment to go back home at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, my plants had to be left behind. I don’t think they would have fared well on a flight, for the record, and I was expecting to be back in town sooner than later. Roughly six months later, my poor plants were rescued from my room by a dear friend of mine, and she has claimed them as her own! Although they looked like they were on the brink of death by the time she got to them, they bounced back pretty quickly. That, right there, is a testament to the resilience of plants!

Now, I have about 30 plants and am a full-fledged plant parent. This is all thanks to my brother, who probably has close to 100 plants by now. I remember coming home to see his beautiful monstera deliciosa and looking closely for signs of new growth, excited to see each new leaf as it unfurled. 

One of the first plants I got was my Brasil philodendron, as variegated leaves have always been my favorite! I also love my marble queen pothos, monstera adansonii (aka Swiss cheese plant), and philodendron moonlight. These plants are beginner-friendly, but you should always do some basic research about the space you want to buy plants for, as lighting is an essential factor to consider. 

If you are looking for plants that can handle some underwatering, consider snake plants or another favorite of mine, the ZZ plant! These two can handle low light, as well, making them ideal for spaces with small windows. While I wouldn’t recommend not watering your plant entirely, these two are especially forgiving if you forget to water them from time to time. For the most growth, you want to place them in proper lighting and water them regularly. 

For some beginner-friendly guidance, there are plenty of resources out there to get you started on your journey to being obsessed with plants! A few years ago, my brother gifted me a copy of The Little Book of House Plants and Other Greenery by Emma Sibley, and it has information on plant care, propagation and more! 

Another way to get inspired about plants is through social media. Here are some of my favorite Instagram pages that frequently post about plants or are entirely dedicated to plants: 

Christopher from @plantkween

Carrington from @withcarrington

Tia from @thequeer_bungalow

If you’re looking for reasons to buy plants in the first place, they’re affordable and instantly liven up any space! With such a wide range of plants to purchase, there’s something for every lifestyle, budget, living space, and personality. Not to mention, once you propagate them (aka cut them and stick them in water until they grow roots), you have even more plants! These plant cuttings make great gifts, too!

Another bonus of having plants around is that they can serve as a reminder to take some time for yourself. When your plants are looking dry and a bit neglected, there’s a high possibility that you also need some love and rest. 

Every day, I take some time to look at my plants, water them if needed, check for new growth, and bask in their beauty. It may sound simple, but this part of my day is always so calming and reflective. Watching the development of my plants over time is so rewarding, and the unexpected growth is wonderful! From one day to the next, new leaves start poking out, and it always brings me so much joy!

If you’re planning on purchasing some new plants, I highly recommend shopping locally. The plants at local shops tend to be much healthier than those found at retail stores, but you have to do what’s best for you! Since I’m in Texas, some of my favorite shops here are North Haven Gardens in Dallas and GROW in Fort Worth, but in Gainesville, Serpentine Plants + Provisions and Garden Gate Nursery are my go-tos. 

There are so many house plants out there, and I’m always thinking about which ones I want to add to my little family! My newest addition was a small monstera deliciosa, the same plant that made me want to get plants of my own! Plants keep me looking forward and serve as a reminder that growth is constant and often unexpected. During the pandemic, my plants have brought me so much comfort, and I’d recommend house plants to anyone that might benefit from something similar!

Jessica Hernandez is a University of Florida Senior doublte-majoring in Economics and Sustainability Studies. She has a heart for activism, is an avid reader, a lover of vegan food, and a member of the rock climbing team at UF. She can often be found reading books in her hammock or trying vegan food at restaurants in Gainesville.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.