Why The Hashtag #MeToo Is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In light of the recent sexual harassment case against Harvey Weinstein, more women have spoken up about their own experience with sexual harassment. The campaign went viral on Facebook and Twitter causing numerous women and some men to open up about their experience. According to CNN, #MeToo was used 825,000 times on Twitter. That number just goes to show that their is a problem in our society with how people view and treat women.

Validity

I noticed this hashtag inspired many women to feel comfortable enough to share their experience. I read some stories that ranged from catcalling to rape. And ALL of those experiences are valid. Never feel like your “Me Too” story is not necessary because someone else had it worse. Your story counts. Catcalling, unsolicited pictures, stalking, groping and sexual coercion are all valid. I was once groped at a college party by a student athlete who was twice my size. He had me in a headlock. Unwillingly, he stuck his hand down my shirt and felt my breasts. He then whispered in my ear to give my Snapchat name to him. Luckily, I was small enough to slip right under him and got out of the situation. My story is valid. I know many people, myself included, who were afraid to write “Me Too” because of the connotation of being a victim. I personally didn’t want people on social media to know my story because they don’t need to know. I know I don’t owe it to anybody, but I understand the curiosity as well.

Awareness

I noticed many men on Facebook wrote an “I-had-no-idea” post. That means this hashtag worked. It did its job of making people aware of how many women are affected by sexual harassment. I was shocked too. There were some people that I would have never expected to have that experience. I think I was more shocked by the amount of men that I saw have a “Me Too” story. I know sexual harassment mainly affects women, but sometimes we forget that men can also be seen as victims and not just as predators. It just goes to show that people of any race, age, ethnicity or gender can be victims as well.

Empowerment

#MeToo gave women a voice. It allowed for women who might never tell their story to finally have a cathartic release. Putting your experience into words not only helps you, but it also helps other friends going through the same thing. Women helping women. Women are stronger when we are united. The hashtag showed women that they are not alone. You are heard and you are understood.

Sometimes we never know what another person is going through because they can hide it so well. This movement allowed for women to notice that they are not alone in their struggles and that they have so many friends to lean on for support. The hashtag allowed for men to become aware of how many women are affected by their actions. I hope more women speak out against sexual harassment and feel comfortable to share their story. We hear you, we see you, we understand you.