Style

Why Denim-on-Denim Is Your New Fashion Obsession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The days of avoiding pairing denim with denim are long over. Everything is denim, and it’s amazing. I was a little hesitant at first to jump on the denim-on-denim train because that’s all I wore when I was little (#90skid). Once I tried it, there was no turning back. If you aren’t sure how to incorporate this trend in your own wardrobe, I’ve listed some ideas to get you started.

Find your dream jean jacket

You cannot go wrong with a jean jacket. It’s an essential piece to your wardrobe. Jean jackets were my mom’s go-to when I was growing up. Every time we went shopping, my mom would say, “That would look great with a jean jacket.” I didn’t believe her, but little did I know that I would own four jean jackets many years later.

Oversized jean jackets compliment almost any outfit. You can put one over a t-shirt and jean skirt or even pair it with some jeans and a blouse! I love embroidered jean jackets to add some personality to an outfit. This is the easiest way to start pairing denim with denim.

You can’t go wrong with white denim

If you aren’t 100 percent sure how to go about achieving the perfect Canadian Tuxedo, you can easily pair denim with white denim pieces. The white will serve as a neutral piece to use as the foundation of your outfit. You can never go wrong with a white jean skirt or jeans. Pair your white denim bottoms with a chambray shirt or a fun jean jacket!

Mix up light and dark washes

A rule of thumb when deciding to do denim-on-denim is to use different shades of denim. You don’t want all the denim in your outfit to be the same wash. Unless it’s a set, it’s a good idea to mix dark washes with light washes. You won’t have to worry about not matching! One of my favorite denim pieces is my light-wash boyfriend jeans. I typically throw on my dark-wash jean jacket for a casual look.

Don’t worry, you don’t have to limit yourself to just different washes of denim. Some of my favorite denim pieces are dyed all different colors. You can experiment with fun colors and designs to compliment your basic denim pieces. Forever 21 has a great variety of fun, trendy and affordable denim pieces that are anything but traditional.

Get inspired!

Scrolling through Pinterest and Instagram is a great place to start. I love following street-style bloggers for new ways to incorporate the denim-on-denim look. It’s a great way to gain some inspiration on how to create new combinations of denim pieces that are already in your closet.

I hope you start to love denim-on-denim as much as I do. Honestly, I consider denim to be my neutral, and it’s slowly taking over my closet — not that I’m complaining!

Hi I'm Bailey! I'm a Jesus loving, coffee drinking 20 something year old college student. I love the Florida Gators, the color navy, and carbs. Follow along while I try to balance school and my love of fashion!