Why Aren’t These Music Artists Keeping Their Top-Chart Statuses?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Music is a complex industry in Hollywood. When American Idol premiered in 2002 the world learned about the “it-factor” and the difference between looks and talent. Through talent TV shows like American Idol, audiences learned that talent wasn’t the only factor needed to be successful in the music industry. Sadly, though, talented artists who come from talent shows do not always remain at the top of the charts. Here are some of my favorite music moguls who unfortunately haven’t remained their chart-topping statuses.

Jessie J

Recently, British artist Jessie J appeared on the Chinese singing competition show Singer 2018. Jessie J is known for hit songs like “Domino,” “Price Tag,” “Flashlight,” and “Bang Bang,” a hit she performed with Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj.

Despite her immense talent, it seems like Jessie J doesn’t get any credit or have any power to remain relevant in the music industry. Sources like The Guardian report that the singer is on the Chinese competition show to reboot and restart her career.

While it is a bit disheartening to think of a top recording artist subjecting herself to a competition show, videos of Jessie performing have received millions of views and are successfully placing her at the forefront of people’s minds. Jessie isn’t the only great artist who was seemingly forgotten by the public, and there are a few others that may need to consider a singing competition to boost their relevancy and sales.

Tori Kelly

I feel like Tori Kelly was on the road to become the Colbie Caillat of this decade, but sadly, we’re not in 2005, and cute girls with guitars don’t sell anymore.

Kelly originally appeared on season nine of American Idol, but she only made it to the top 24 before she was eliminated. She went on to release two back-to-back EPs in 2012 and 2013 respectively before she released her debut album in 2015. It seems like right as she was rising to the top, Kelly also disappeared and fell to the bottom of the relevant artist pool.

Tinashe

It may not be known, but Tinashe had an extensive career in acting prior to pursuing musical endeavors. She truly rose to fame and started her solo career around 2014. The reason I feel that Tinashe hasn’t blown up, despite having a commercial look and dance ability, is that she is too similar to Rihanna or Beyoncé. In an article on The Guardian, she described how other female black singers get this comparison and can’t be their own artist.

That issue is very similar to Jessie J. An executive compared to her to Amy Winehouse and Adele, but said that she had no niche or factor to set her apart.

I think rather than just sticking to music and videos that commercially do alright, Tinashe needs to release a ballad or something that will really allow people to know who she is and support her.

Zara Larson

Although it is still very early in Zara Larson’s initial spout of fame, I feel like she is still very underrated among music listeners.

“Never Forget You” was her breakout collaboration from 2016 that started her rise to fame in America. What most people don’t know is that Larson has been very successful in Sweden as a music artist. She came to the U.S. to reach mainstream success. Although her collaborations did well, Larson’s individual singles haven’t done as well.

While there are other artists from the past who need help restarting their careers or making a strong comeback, I believe there are artists who never truly got a chance because their talent alone didn’t do enough to set them apart in the music industry. These artists need a platform like Singer to highlight their talent and gain a larger and more appreciative audience.

Tranelle Maner is a senior at the University of Florida. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in film and media studies. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Editor-in-Chief of a magazine as well as becoming a social media strategist for a large brand or company. She has a passion for podcasts, watching too many cooking videos and scrolling through social media. In her free time she enjoys writing different reaction and opinion articles as well as trying new recipes.