Style

Whatever You’re Wearing, Your Mom Probably Wore It First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’re in a very interesting time of fashion right now. Looking back at pictures of my mom when she was my age, I’ve wondered… wait, why are we wearing the same thing? A lot of girls don’t think to borrow their mom’s clothes. Now we’re wishing we could have their old wardrobes.

Although we seem trendy, a lot of today’s trends started in the “good ole days,” as our parents would say. Flare jeans, overalls, crop tops and chokers are only a few pieces of our wardrobes that didn’t start with us. The looks of the ‘80s and ‘90s are making big comebacks. Many times, I’ve bought something, and my mom has made a comment such as, “I had something just like that when I was 20!”

The first big trend that’s really been making a comeback is flare jeans. I would have never thought that I would see flare jeans everywhere in 2018. We all knew they existed, of course, but they seemed like something of the past — skinny jeans were the only pants that my middle-school self would put on. Now here I am, with two pairs of flare jeans in my closet. Flare jeans are a great way to spice up any plain top. They’re also great with a nice top and heels or wedges if you’re trying to dress them up. Back in the day, they were worn with crop tops too, which is a look that is all too familiar to our generation. They come in a variety of colors, as most jeans do. Even better, the flare style doesn’t stop at jeans. Many designers have created pants with a flare end in several materials and patterns for a completely different look.

Various fashions that are considered trendy now have a wide leg. Similar to the flare style, many other pants and jumpsuits now have a looser leg rather than a tight fit. Previous trends that were generally tighter, such as skinny jeans and pencil skirts, are now being replaced by flowy pants and jumpsuits — pieces of our mom’s wardrobes from the yesteryear. We can all agree that these clothes are significantly more comfy, so props to the designers of the ‘80s and ‘90s on that one.

On a broader note, denim has always been trendy but not to the extent that it is today. Today, denim is more than just a classic blue pair of Levi’s. We tend to wear jeans with more style and higher fashion. Jean skirts, although they seem normal now, have not always been popular to us. My fourth-grade self was strutting the halls in a Justice jean skirt, but that seemed to fade away for a while. Jean skirts are more popular now with a variation of looks.

Overalls is another example of a trend that was originally misjudged. We first viewed overalls as a country look, but they are styled beautifully now. Even on game days, it’s super common to see girls pairing overalls with cute crop tops underneath. Jean dresses have also been stocking the shelves recently. Even though we may not realize it, our moms were wearing jean-on-jean way before it was cool to us.

Let’s not forget about accessories, another key part of fashion. Many accessories have made a comeback from the mom generation. Chokers, hoop earrings and ascots are examples. Chokers made a comeback a few years back, so they aren’t as recent, but they continue to be worn all the time. When I used to think of chokers, I only thought about a certain style, but now there are the ones that compliment outfits no matter what style people have.

In my accessory collection, hoops are a staple. This wasn’t the case two years ago, though. Our generation has come to realize that hoops can transform any outfit. This is something our moms have known for years. We’re just a little late to the game!

For those of you who aren’t familiar with ascots, an ascot is a scarf-like accessory that girls have been wearing on their necks or as headbands. A nicely styled example is shown in my first picture. They come in various colors and patterns so they can be worn with many different outfits.

Certain shoes and purses are becoming popular again, too. Platforms, which are extremely trendy now, were common with older generations. Small backpacks are particular bags that my mom has commented on as making a resurgence.

Other trends include linen, stripes, gingham, and plaid. Trends that come in our generation are often followed just because they seem to be stylish. The cool thing about the recent ones of our generation is that they’re coming full circle. We didn’t start these trends — we’re really just recycling them and making them our own.

Moms do really have it going on. The styles they followed as young adults are being brought back by us. Ultimately, we have them to thank. Don’t be surprised if you walk downstairs and see your mom in flare jeans and a jean jacket. She’s not “dressing too young,­­” she’s just wearing what she’s used to.