What’s An Ambivert?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Loud and proud or soft and quiet, we tend to categorize ourselves into two groups as an excuse for the rest of the world to give us a break. Are you an extrovert or an introvert? What if you don’t completely find yourself in one group or another? Many people find that they can be outgoing and social when they want to be, yet they still enjoy the alone, relaxing time at home and need it to recharge. This is exactly where I find myself; I, the ambivert, hear me roar.

You know you’re an ambivert when you love meeting new people, but only if you have your friends there with you. This could also happen if you’ll completely open up and go on and on about a topic that comes up in conversation that you like, but happily sit quietly and listen to the remainder of the conversation. Or if you love going out as much as you love staying in. If you relate to any one of these examples, you’re probably an ambivert, too. Welcome to the club, my friend.

Being an ambivert can be like middle-child syndrome, everyone always forgets about you. No one ever asks, “Do you consider yourself an extrovert, introvert or ambivert?” It’s just too much of a mouth full. So maybe you reply “Actually, I think of myself as an ambivert.” Prepare for furrowed brows and confused eyes, as most people probably don’t know what this is.

But I personally think being an ambivert is a unique character trait that we should be proud of. We get the best of both worlds! Never scared to be alone, always able to entertain ourselves, being introverted at times is definitely a good thing. And then for those moments when your friends want to go out and have fun, you’re never a bore, but also never the one to get too crazy and do something stupid. This introverted/extroverted-ness is the perfect combo to leave a good impression on everyone you meet as you always say just enough that it’s not too much or too little, but interesting enough.

Another fun trait of being an ambivert is the level of depth that usually comes with it. You’re not too shy to speak to people, but have the mind of a quieter person who has sat back and observed the world. This leads to deep, insightful thoughts that can usually be well-expressed and explained in conversation, meaning less dull small talk and more real talk.

As someone able to have fun, whether it’s staying in or going out, be proud of your uniqueness! Not everyone can do both, and in fact, some people may say the opposite scares them. Use your ambivert skills to your advantage by working hard and staying focused, while also being fun and entertaining.

Photo credit: newlovetimes.com

Maxine Grossman is a second-year Public Relations major with a concentration in business at the University of Florida and is so excited for the opportunity to do what she does best for Her Campus UFL: write about fashion. When Maxine is not staring at Pinterest fashion boards or wandering around shopping, she can be caught eating sushi, devouring cups of coffee and tea, or munching on some delicious macarons. Besides writing for Her Campus UFL, Maxine is also an active member of UF’s Panhellenic life and enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and painting.