What to Be Thankful For This Fall: UF Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The season of stuffed turkeys, pumpkin spice lattes, patterned sweaters and colored leaves is upon us. But besides scrumptious seasonal flavors, cozy clothes and the relaxing atmosphere of fall, there are many other things to be thankful for. As UF students, let’s take a look at some of the key things we should remember this Thanksgiving.

Satchel’s PizzaWhat place has karaoke and awesome pizza and only lets you pay in cash? I’m glad you asked because there’s no other place in Gainesville quite like Satchel’s. It’s an artsy chill-to-death dining experience that you won’t soon forget, and we all should appreciate this restaurant for being a Gainesville staple.

Loblolly WoodsWhether you’re going for a run, taking a walk or just wanting to get lost in the winding dirt trails, this awesome nature park will allow you to revel in nature. Even though it’s 10 minutes away from campus, it’s a good place to just get away from it all… or, if you’re a klutz, to trip over tree roots.

GelatoYes, it’s November and it’s still warm enough to eat ice cream and other sweet cold things. Be jealous, non-Floridians.

Paynes Prairie Preserve State ParkCome out here to gaze at beautiful grasslands, stars and maybe even a bison or two!

Volleyball seasonHave you seen our volleyball team lately? How great is it to see the Gator girls kick butt? And as a student of UF, you get in on all the action for free.

Lake WauburgThis is the closest thing UF students have to a beach in an almost 100-mile radius. We appreciate it for its paddleboats, rock climbing walls and “sand” that’s really more like salty dirt. In all seriousness though, going to Lake Wauburg always means having a blast.

Awesome professorsYou can spot them a mile a way. They have a twinkle in their eyes. They have cool tattoos and even cooler stories behind them. They get super passionate when lecturing and can turn a random tangent into a strangely satisfying life lesson. Be grateful that UF has some of the best professors in the world.

Krishna lunchDo you want all-you-can-eat vegetarian food? Do you want that food to be dirt-cheap yet highly addictive and yummy? Do you want to be serenaded throughout this whole process? I’ll answer for you: Yes, yes and yes! Krishna lunch, a dining tradition on the UF campus for years, is definitely something to be thankful for.

The UF campusTake a moment to appreciate the brick buildings on campus, especially in the fall. There are times when you experience that perfect combination of a slight breeze, the sun peaking over Century Tower and a few leaves scattered on the pavement as you walk to and from class. Our lovely campus, though more than 100 years old, still glistens in its rustic charm.

The Gator NationEven as we go home for the beauty that is Thanksgiving break, we know that The Gator Nation is everywhere. Alumni across the U.S. instantly recognize our orange and blue apparel. UF is now not only known for its excellent sports teams, but it is also quickly growing to be one of the most well-known and respected public institutions in the country. That’s something we can all be thankful for.

As the semester stress temporarily winds down with the approach of Thanksgiving, we know that there are a million things for which we can give thanks. It can be easy in the midst of exam after exam and project after project to forget how lucky we are. When we count our blessings, let’s not forget to be thankful for everything that comes with being a part of the best nation around: The Gator Nation!

Photo credit:lakearrowheadresort.com

Jenny is a public relations major/nonprofit organization leadership minor and a junior at UF. This is her first semester working with HerCampus but has two blogs and contributes to The Independent Florida Alligator. Jenny is active on campus and is devoted to Christian Campus House, NaviGators International and Interfaith Ambassadors. She likes: tea, volunteering, journaling, yoga, photography and film editing, waffles and dancing. She dislikes: procrastinating (even though she does it all the time). Follow her twitter @jschooljen or on Facebook. Also check our her blog Rogue Gainesville.