Wednesday Wisdom: 8 Things I Learned During Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that most of us are rounding off the first month of school, I feel like it is a good time to share some of the things I’ve learned up to this point. “This point” hasn’t been that long, but still… my first year in Gainesville taught me a lot, and some of it wasn’t completely life-changing, but I’d still like to pass along these nuggets of wisdom for those who are currently experiencing the rollercoaster that is freshman year of college. 1. No, that guy sitting next to you in class is not judging you.If you read my last article, you’re already familiar with my love of makeup. I also have an obnoxious collection of leggings and big T-shirts that doesn’t really make sense when I put them on with gold eyelids. I’ve never considered going to class to a particularly outfit-worthy occasion, and it turns out that a lot of people also think that way. So yes, you probably did see a guy ride past you on his skateboard wearing a Cookie Monster onesie, and he’s probably just late for his 9:35 a.m. chemistry lecture. And yes, this also means he has no reason to judge you for your T-shirt and smoky eye combo.

2. He’s not judging you, but neither are those girls at the gym. I love the gym. It’s like a second home, but the university gym made me feel like a goldfish that had gone from fishbowl to fish tank. I had gotten used to knowing every machine and weight like the back of my hand. It’s kind of sad that I spent the first month trying not to call attention to the fact that I had no idea what the red knob on the squat machine did. Everyone at the gym is just there to work out — go figure. And no one is critiquing how fast you run or how long you plank.

3. On that note, do yourself a favor and stop comparing yourself to other people.I was in discussion for my general anthropology class during my first semester of college, and the girl sitting next to me was talking about how she was making her way through a triple major. Next to her, I felt like I wasn’t doing enough. Some of my friends had already established themselves in organizations and Greek life and it freaked me out that I hadn’t gotten there yet.  However, I’m making a place for myself too, but I’m just doing so at my own pace. It wasn’t until the year went on that I got more comfortable with that. Other people and their progress has nothing to do with my own. They may be taking bigger strides, but I’m catching up!

4. Your major is subject to change.I remember coming into school after hearing a graduate student talk to us for an hour about how she had changed her major twice before finally deciding what she wanted to do. In the typical fashion, I never thought that would be me! The reality is that I started college in one department, and by sophomore year I had switched over. There are a bunch of cool things to study, and it’s okay if your current major ends up not being the “one.” Some people are born knowing exactly what they’re supposed to do with their lives, and some of us figure it out along the way. 5. Breakfast is 100 percent worth it, I swear. When I moved into the dorms, granola bars and yogurt were literally my food staples. Actually, they still kind of are. You know how your third grade teachers would tell you to “eat a good breakfast” before the FCAT? They actually had the right idea. You’re always going to be able to function better, especially for those grueling three-hour labs and early classes, if you’re not “hangry.” Seeing as I love food as much as I love myself, I always tend to get annoyed at everything around me if I haven’t eaten by noon. So make yourself happy, and make your body happy. Just because college is hard doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be properly fed.

6. Your mom is right and you’ll end up making a lot of new friends.Okay, this one sounds super cliché, but it’s so true. I’m not telling you to be Buddy the Elf, but being friendly has its benefits. I met some of my favorite people in the most random places: the dorm bathroom, astronomy and even my friend’s kitchen. I have a tendency to be loud, and sometimes it can get a little obnoxious. That may drive some people away, but the great thing about college is that with all these people, finding people who enjoyed both me and my loud voice wasn’t hard at all. Whether you feel more comfortable in a sorority or in the microbiology club, it’s vital to surround yourself with cool people, especially older students who have lots of advice to give.

7. You’re going to miss your family.Don’t act like you don’t miss ‘em, because you totally do. Maybe it’s because it’s always been my mom and I, but I missed her like crazy the first week of school. I still miss my parents from time to time, even though I’ve already done this once. Being away from home has its advantages, like eating ice cream for breakfast and having no one yell at me. I’m going to admit — I was pretty sad the first time my dad called me from home. It was weird hearing his voice over a phone and not throughout the entire house. You’re allowed to be homesick because we’ve all been there. Some of us are still there, if we’re being honest.

8. It’s always great to be a Florida Gator.This one is important. This is Her Campus UFL, after all. My freshman year only gave me a taste of what is to come during the next few years of my undergraduate time here, but it also helped me fall in love with Gainesville and everything it has to offer. Try dorm life, eat vegan ice cream and paint your hair orange and blue for the UF/FSU game. Your college is your second home and you’ll end up loving it. Best of all, the beauty of this city is that it will love you back.

Photo credit:www.uni-watch.comwww.floridagatorsfootballtickets.com

Cindy is a senior at the University of Florida. She's hoping to make this year a good one. She loves sriracha and hates talking about herself in third person. As a member of the Her Campus team, she enjoys writing about everything from body positivity to failed cooking endeavors. She has a personal blog that she wants to try and update more frequently and hasn't been very good about, but if you're curious, you can feel free to check it out at thecindycopies.blogspot.com Ask her for her opinion because she's got lots of them, or if that isn't your thing, you read about them every week. HCXO!