burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Viva La Juicy: Why This Brand Is Making A Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If you’re walking down the street and spot the back of a jacket with the studded “Juicy” trademark on the back, you may think to yourself, “What year is it again?”

It may be 2018, but Juicy Couture is back and better than ever. I’m not just saying this because I’ve been obsessing over my new Juicy tracksuit that I just got for my birthday (Okay, maybe a little!) — but this designer is really putting their name back in the fashion scene.

Juicy Couture was founded back in 1997 in Los Angeles, California, by two pals trying to start a clothing line. Originally, they began selling maternity pants. After deciding it was time for a change, the monumental brand was created.

The infamous trend from 2009 that had every teen and tween spending money as if they had a steady job has been creeping back up on us fashionistas slowly but surely. The company was sold in 2013, and it closed all stores in the United States by 2015, but I just knew this wouldn’t be the end.

In 2014, Kohl’s began carrying Juicy Couture. This came as a surprise to some people because the Juicy fad seemed to be long gone. In February of 2017, Urban Outfitters and Juicy Couture released a collaboration and Urban was stocking the shelves with track suits, tube tops, shorts and tees. In May, even more was released due to obvious popularity.

Along with tracksuits and the typical bedazzling, Juicy Couture has worked to expand its consumer base. With its new Spring 2018 collection, Juicy has released merchandise such as a cashmere track suit to satisfy those who don’t quite feel comfortable slipping back into their bright pink flare sweatpants from seventh grade. It is evident that Juicy has a stereotypical style that most think of when they hear the name, but this is not what they’re all about. We can be confident in the designers’ ability to provide us with some new fashions.

Celebrity stylist Jamie Mizrahi joined Juicy Couture as creative director in mid-2017. People were wondering what direction she might take the brand, since the revival of something that used to be popular is a difficult thing to do. A look for everyone is what was created. Tracksuits were clearly going to be included, yes, but the inclusion of dresses, skirts, collared shirts, jackets and new jewelry really make it something new. In addition, new lines for children and babies have been released.

Celebrities and fashion icons themselves have been recently taking advantage of the Juicy style, too. Stars such as Paris Hilton and Dakota Fanning have been seen rocking their own personalized Juicy tracksuits as if nothing has changed. In an interview with InStyle, Paris Hilton stated “There’s no sweat suit that’s this comfortable and looks good. I love that Juicy’s back!” And she could not be more right. In addition to Ms. Hilton herself, Kim Kardashian West, Rhianna and Kylie Jenner have all been stunting in their Juicy attire. These celebrities are often wearing the higher end of Juicy, such as $1000 velour tops, but the same look is still there. If the stars are doing it, so can we.

Now, I know it may be nerve-wracking to try to bring something back in style that seemed to be a middle school fad. We don’t see people running around wearing Hollister graphic tees with unbreathable skinny jeans anymore and calling it fashion, but that’s okay. As a huge advocate for the designer, I want this to be a household brand, once again. I want Juicy Couture to be loved and cherished as it once was and as it deserves. We can all start simple. If you’re thinking of getting back on the Juicy bandwagon, start with just a jacket, such as a simple zip-up.

For example, you can purchase a Women’s Juicy Couture Embellished Hoodie Jacket for the price of $39.99, rather than on the Juicy Couture website, where prices may start as high at $60. Sweatpants are also a great way to go if you’re looking to buy separates. Soft joggers can be purchased for around the same price as the jackets, and they’re a great buy that will never go out of style. If you’re feeling hesitant about getting back into the style, you don’t need to worry about being too obnoxious.

It’s no secret that comebacks are hard to make, especially in the fashion world. Trends are trends for a reason, but this doesn’t always have to be the case. Juicy Couture is an exception right now, and I think they’re really killing the game. Fashion trends have the interesting aspect of nostalgia. We often look back and laugh, or even shed a tear of embarrassment at the things we used to wear when we were younger. However, I’m here to encourage you that Juicy is nothing to be embarrassed about. The year is 2018 and you can make a pretty big statement by participating in Juicy’s comeback, if you choose to. The Juicy gang, if you will, is a phenomenon that I have seen grow over the past year, and we can all come to love it.