Style > Decor

Update Your Ornament Collection with These Ornaments Based on Your Niche Major

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Chances are that you (or your dad) are beginning to embark on the annual journey of climbing up to the attic to retrieve the Christmas tree. The most meaningful portion of the Christmas tree process, adding the ornaments, begins after the tree is set up. If you’re like me, your family’s Christmas-ornament box is a tangible representation of your growth; my ornaments include ones that I made in preschool to ones that we bought during my high school years. This holiday season, you can update your ornament collection to represent your latest milestone: entering college. Here are seven ornaments for niche majors that you can hang on the tree while supporting small businesses – a win-win:

1) Where are my communication sciences and disorders majors at? Etsy shop, Speaking of Samantics, sells this beautiful Christmas tree ornament featuring the International Phonetic Alphabet. The pastel pink, rich orange and striking teal will add a pop of color to your tree. Be sure to impress your parents by showing off your knowledge of the International Phonetic Alphabet while you add it to the tree.

2) Construction management majors in UF’s M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management can showcase their major with this ornament by NightSkyBoutique111 on Etsy. The seller creates a realistic construction vest ornament, complete with a hard hat and a crane hook. The ornament’s also customizable, so you can add your name (or your roommate’s name for a fun gift idea).

3) Students in UF’s Entomology and Nematology program will think that this ornament is the bee’s knees. (That is the first and last dad joke I’ll make in this article; I promise!) This gorgeous glass ornament from MoldsPlusMore on Etsy showcases beautifully crafted, painted beetles and insects. The distinctive design is sure to stand out on your tree.

4) Food science majors in UF’s College of Agricultural and Life Sciences will love this glass ornament from MoldsPlusMore’s Etsy shop. This ornament depicts a miniature brown grocery-like bag filled with corn, carrots and greens all wrapped together with a quaint piece of twine. You might even be inspired to whip out some facts from Food Chemistry while you decorate the tree.

5) If you frequent Weimer Hall as a Media Production, Management, and Technology major, this ornament is for you. Inspired by hands-on classes such as Sight, Sound and Motion, this camera ornament is a recognizable symbol of the MPMT major experience. AmberflemingGifts on Etsy also lets you personalize the camera by adding your name for a truly one-of-a-kind ornament.

6) Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management majors can adorn their tree with this luggage tag ornament by Oakdene Designs. (As a public relations major, I also want to order one!) This wooden ornament depicts the city, country and date that you choose during the purchasing process. If your travels have been limited to Alachua County due to school, you could always add “UF” in place of the country and “THEM” for the city (for Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management) to personalize it to your educational experience!

7) Lastly, Etsy seller MackanCrafts sells an ornament perfect for Fire and Emergency Services majors. These M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management students can order this personalized fireman jacket ornament accompanied by a helmet and fireman axe. You can also order either a wooden ornament for a modern farmhouse-inspired Christmas tree or an acrylic version of the ornament for a classy, traditional tree.

This Christmas, update your ornament collection to display a very important aspect of your life as a Gator. If your major wasn’t mentioned, hundreds of talented Etsy sellers design rare ornaments that you wouldn’t find in any mainstream store. While you’re decorating the tree, reflect on the years that are represented by the ornaments you’re hanging. Be proud of how much you have grown!

Caroline Crews is a third-year public relations major at the University of Florida. As a PR major, she enjoys nerding out about consumer analytics and campaign design. Caroline has used her education to design social media plans for both non-profit and for-profit organizations, create targeted email campaigns, and construct the branding of several organizations. When Caroline is not immersed in the field of PR, you can find her going on a walk, spending time with friends and family, or making a pot of coffee.