The Ultimate Summer Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Summer is just around the corner. We can feel it in the hot and sticky air, in the whispered summer plans and in the sunny skies outside the library window as we study for our final exams. It’s so close, yet so far away. If you find yourself needing a bit of a pick-me-up while studying for that accounting exam, try listening to a few perfect summer songs to help you get in the mood for vacation.

1. “California Gurls” by Katy Perry ft. Snoop DoggIn 2010, Katy Perry was at her peak, and this song basically defines her image at the time. It’s fun and hip and it’s so easy to substitute “Florida” for “California” if you really want to. This is the perfect beach song, so play it while you’re lounging on the sand.

2. “Summertime Sadness (Remix)” by Lana Del Rey and Cedric GervaisThis remix combines Del Rey’s crooning vocals with a faster tempo and more electronic sounds, perfect for blasting in the car while cruising down the coast. Just the rich quality of her voice makes you think of hot summer nights.

3. “What Time Is It?” by the cast of High School Musical 2If there’s a song that makes you think of childhood school days leading up to summer vacation, it’s this one. Reminisce with your best friends about the good ol’ days while listening to young Zac Efron serenade Vanessa Hudgens.

4. “Summer” by Calvin HarrisIt’s the perfect song to play in the background when you lock eyes with your summer fling from across the room at a party. It’s sexy, fun and great to dance to.

5. “Bang Bang” by Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki MinajThis song is already a summer classic in my mind. The combination of Jessie J’s powerful belt, Ariana Grande’s airy soprano and Nicki Minaj’s flawless rapping makes this the best power song of the past year and an essential to any summer playlist.

6. “Party in the USA” by Miley CyrusHow else are you going to celebrate July 4 without jamming out to this song? Miley Cyrus has since moved on from her old style to her new, edgy one, but there’s no denying just how catchy this throwback is.  

7. “Surfing U.S.A” by the Beach BoysA throwback to your grandparents’ day, this song is an American summertime classic. It’s super relatable for the Florida beaches and has a nice retro vibe that’s perfect for a beach party playlist.

8. “Dancing in the Street” by Martha and the VandellasAnother old throwback, this song is for those of you who may not have that much beach access over the summer, or who just don’t really dig the surf scene. This song is all about dancing in the summer heat and having a good time with your friends.  

9. “Uptown Funk” by Bruno MarsIt’s fun, it’s hip, and it’s extremely catchy—everything about “Uptown Funk” screams summer and carefree days. It’s definitely essential to blast in the car while heading out for a summer road trip with your besties.

Whether your summer scene involves beach days and road trips or just quality time with your friends in your hometown, you’re sure to find that perfect summer song somewhere in this playlist. Have a great summer vacation, collegiettes. Stay safe and have fun!

Photo credit: blog.sunwing.ca

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.