UFashion: Wearing White After Labor Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Hello world! My name is Anagabriela Medina (a mouthful, I know), and I’m currently a junior majoring in journalism with a minor in history and anthropology. I hail from a little town in the panhandle called Chipley; I guess you could say I’m a small town girl with big city dreams. In the little free time I have, you’ll find me checking out the latest trends in my favorite magazines, working on a new DIY project or listening to Lady Gaga on repeat (sometimes all three of these activities at once).

I’ve always been amazed by how the right outfit can truly transform a woman inside and out. It is this idea that made me fall in love with fashion in the first place. It’s a visual language that everyone can understand and a fun way to express yourself in the most simple, yet impactful, way. UFashion is meant to share my love for fashion with my fellow Gator Girls while keeping you updated on the latest trends and how to wear them according to your body type and budget!

———————————- 

Now, we’ve all heard that saying: “No white after Labor Day.” But I say don’t let this outdated fashion rule make you rid of all the white from your closet just yet. By making minor adjustments with the pieces you already own, you can create a season appropriate outfit with your favorite white statements that will make them stay relevant long after the hot summer nights are over. Read my suggestions below, and check out these cute outfits I created using white pieces from my own closet to inspire your future fall looks:

First of all, switch out your lighter fabrics in white for those of a heavier material. This will keep you warmer on those cooler days in the fall and winter. Another option is to create a layered look by combining the light fabric in white with another lightweight material.

An even easier way to pull off white in the coming months is by simply pairing it with darker colors. This instantly makes a summer piece seem much warmer.  Choosing to wear one white piece among darker colors can also give a nice pop to your entire outfit.

You can also consider wearing off-white colors instead. Creams, beiges and nudes can be a nice substitute for white during the cooler seasons and blend well with the darker fall colors. But if you’re still a little wary of wearing white after Labor Day, then you can easily incorporate some white into your fall outfits with accessories instead.  A white belt, scarf, or purse will always looks good with any fall outfit. 

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.