This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As the temperature wavers between sweater weather and shorts season, it’s tempting to call it quits and stick to a pair of leggings and a t-shirt. However, just because the temperature is beginning to drop, doesn’t mean your fashion sense has to. There’s a way to be comfortable while still being fashionable.

A staple piece in any wardrobe is jeans. While they may seem basic, jeans come in a variety of fits and washes that can spice up your fall look. Here are three types of jeans that you need to look fabulous all season long.

Skinny

Skinny jeans have been popular for years, and they are still an essential piece that make getting dressed easy. Skinny jeans come in a variety of washes ranging from light to dark. They can also have distressed holes or a sleek and sophisticated fit. The bottom of the jeans can be cropped with a frayed hem, or they can they can have a plan, straight cut.

This type of jean is the go-to pair in any closet. Skinny jeans look great with any outfit and can be worn with any shoe. Try matching a feminine blouse with a distressed skinny jean for a slightly edgy yet girly outfit. If you pair them with a hoodie and some tennis shoes, you’re set for a day filled with activity and comfort.

Keep a lookout for fun prints or distressing that could make your jeans stand out from the rest.

Boyfriend

Opposite from skinny jeans on the jean spectrum, there’s the boyfriend jean. Boyfriend jeans are said to have originated in the 1960s when Marilyn Monroe made the look iconic. They have been worn by other stars such as Katie Holmes, Sarah Jessica Parker and Reese Witherspoon, as well.

For those who aren’t ready to fully commit to the originally baggy style of some boyfriend jeans, this type of jean does come in more tapered and form-fitting styles depending on where they are bought. Typically, the jeans will fit at either low- or mid-waist, and they will be slightly cropped on the bottom.

If you are thinking about reaching for a pair of sweatpants for the day, try a boyfriend jean instead. The relaxed fit with a soft sweater or breezy tank top will make the outfit look effortless and chic while still ensuring that you feel comfortable and laid back.

These jeans are also perfect for a short pair of booties. The cropped ankle helps to accentuate the shoe and can be the extra step that takes an outfit from cute to fashionable.

Try doing a search on some of your favorite stores’ websites and see what kind of boyfriend jean styles they offer.

Mom

There was a time when the term “mom jean” was an insult, but in the past few years, this style has quickly become a favorite. These vintage-styled jeans have made a comeback through a variety of washes and distressed options.

Mom jeans are high-waisted and have a relaxed fit throughout the leg. This type of jean is between skinny jeans and boyfriend jeans in terms of shape. While they are slightly baggier than a skinny jean, they are still more structured than a boyfriend jean.

Mom jeans can be a fun way to give any outfit a vintage feel while still remaining current. By pairing these jeans with a cute t-shirt and belt with some converse or vans, you can live out your 90s-inspired fashion dreams. These jeans also go great with cropped cardigans or sweaters, and the thicker jean material can keep you warm when the temperatures dip. Some jeans can be found in acid washes, or in paper-bag styled waists to give your outfit some extra fun details.

It’s hard to try a new style once you find a good pair of jeans, but jeans can be an easy way of mixing up your style without having to put in too much effort. Next time you’re at the store and you see a fun pair of jeans that look unique and interesting, try them on. Pay attention to the style, wash, destressing and patterns. Those details will help you find an iconic pair that will elevate your wardrobe. You never know when you might find your next pair of go-to jeans.

Growing up I attended three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school. I moved a total of six times altogether: I have lived in Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida (twice), Missouri and Indiana. Each move taught me to love the new experiences that the world has to offer. It was the constant moving that sparked my interest in travel. Ever since I was young, I enjoyed spending hours in new places, trying new foods and collecting new stories to tell. Besides my six moves, much of my time is spent traveling to other cities within the United States. So far, my favorites have been New York City and New Orleans. The beignets from Café Du Monde made me want to cry tears of joy. My ultimate travel goal is to one day visit France. I desperately want to see the Palace of Versailles and walk through the Hall of Mirrors. While experiencing the world thus far, my taste buds have developed an affinity for coffee. Since the age of five, I have been an avid drinker. My body calls for coffee first thing in the morning and sometimes at night. I am a firm believer that all coffee needs caffeine. I also have a wicked sweet tooth and am willing to try any number of milkshakes, ice cream and doughnuts. My great loves are traveling, coffee and sweets; I also love to write. I hope to one day use my degree in journalism to tell other people’s stories in an entertaining and informative manner. It is also a part of my plan to attend law school. I look forward to experiencing all the adventures (sweets and coffee included) that life has to offer!