priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

Truth Serum: Does Absence Make the Heart Grow Fonder?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As the month of November begins, homesick college students are anticipating their Thanksgiving travels. I was recently talking to one of my best friends, and we concluded absence truly does make the heart grow founder after one intense long-distance relationship.

According to PsychologyToday.com, this idea is known as “folk wisdom.” It is very common in many cultures, but considered an inconsistent kind of wisdom. Everyone is different so they may or may not agree with this. But being away from someone is never easy, and it could have its benefits.

Not seeing someone every day allows room for personal growth and gives you those special moments to look forward to. Also, there are people who have the “out of site out of mind” mentality.

From talking to my friend who had this intense long distance relationship, she said that when you truly are in love the “out of site out of mind” mentality is not the case. Naturally your mind wanders and you become so emotional attached with someone that it is only natural to miss the person with all your heart.

So truth is, whether or not you believe in this so-called “folk wisdom,” missing someone you love can be very hard. As Thanksgiving approaches be thankful for the people in your life and count your blessings.

P.S: If you find yourself missing someone every day, keep yourself busy, get together with some of your friends, and bake!