Track-by-Track Review of One Direction’s Made in the A.M.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I now present to you the track-by-track review of One Direction’s new CD, Made in the A.M.

“Hey Angel”— We’re starting out with some rock. I’m bobbing my head. Yeah, I’m feeling this. This is going to be one of the songs that they ask everyone to pull out their phones to light up when they play it live. “It’s a beautiful sound, it’s a beautiful noise.” Are you talking about this song? Because if so, I’d have to say that I agree.

“Drag Me Down”— I was impressed the first time I heard “Drag Me Down,” but I can’t say I immediately loved it. I enjoyed it, for sure. But I didn’t love it yet. However, I’ve fallen in love with it after giving it some time. It’s a more mature sound and gives a nod to all the doubters that regardless of all the rumors and press, there’s not much that’ll bring 1D down.

“Perfect”— I think this song might have changed me as a human being. Okay, maybe that’s slightly dramatic. But it kind of frightens me how many times I can listen to it consecutively. Also, have you seen the music video for this song? It is, dare I say, perfect. Immediately upon hearing this song, I knew that Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson both wrote it. And I’m pleased to inform you that I was right. “If you’re looking for someone to write your breakup songs about—baby I’m perfect,” they sing. Harry took “Style” and raised Taylor a “Perfect.”  

“Infinity”— There’s a pretty wide range of musical style (no pun intended) on this album, and I think that “Infinity” is a prime example of that. This is the kind of the song that you feel in your heart and you can listen to while soulfully gazing out the window on the bus, daydreaming about how life could be.

“End of The Day”— I get faint “Happily” vibes from this song. I see musical similarities and I like the upbeat tune. I feel like I should be waving my arm passionately in the air with a crowd at a concert. I could see everyone doing the wave or something during it. I’m feeling pretty hyped right now, borderline like I’m ready to take on the world. Nicely done, boys, nicely done.

“If I Could Fly”— Harry Styles, I love you. That soulful intro with some piano was beautiful. I like that this really focuses on vocals; it’s kind of an unusual sound for them. There’s violin in here, too. Never did I expect to hear violin in a One Direction song, but I’m digging it.  

“Long Way Down”— Musically, vocally, lyrically, they’ve grown so much as a band. If anyone wants to fight me on this, take a listen to any song prior to this album. While I consider all four previous CDs gold, this one really exemplifies their development as a whole. I feel like a proud mom. I bet their real moms are also very proud.

“Never Enough”— My jaw literally dropped at this introduction. Not what I anticipated. I can’t wait to listen to this song in the car with my friends with the windows down and singing as loud as we possibly can. Those high notes though… I’m pretty sure I can never listen to this song enough. I’m hoping that my clapping and snapping to the beat doesn’t wake my suitemate up. Time check: 12:20 a.m.

“Olivia”— Are you a relative of Diana, Olivia? Ha, ha, just a little Directioner humor, you feel me? Who is Olivia and how did she get to be so lucky to have such a wonderful song about her? All Olivias everywhere should rejoice greatly. This song is excellent. I can’t wait to listen to this with my headphones while walking to class.

“What a Feeling”— This sounds mystical and magical. I’m ready. Let’s do this. Liam, you got this intro. It’s bringing me back to the “Up All Night” days. I also have to give a shout-out to my boy Louis; I’ve been so impressed lately. You go. This is a cool sound. When did they grow up so much? It seems like only yesterday they were frolicking about in the “What Makes You Beautiful” video. I bet Zayn is seriously regretting dipping out. This album is freaking great.

“Love You Goodbye”— Oh, this is deep. Oh man. I’m really analyzing these lyrics. Oh God. Is this about Louis and Eleanor? I still haven’t gotten over their breakup and, from the sounds of it, Louis hasn’t either. This is pure speculation on my behalf, though. For all I know, he could be happily bopping along through life. Sure, I very much hope that they get back together, but that’s none of my business. This song is great, by the way.

“I Want to Write You a Song”— I can hear faint writing in the background — a very nice touch. Yes, One Direction, I will accept any songs that you’d like to write about me. My name is Leah, if you’re interested, thank you. The maturity of Niall’s voice is really evident in this song, and I hope he knows it. This is such a lovely song.

“History”— When I heard “History,” it was very far from what I expected, in the best kind of way. One of my favorite things about this album is that I’ve continually been surprised about what kind of sound each song has. One Direction has always been extremely grateful toward their supporters, and Niall tweeted that fans were brought in to be a part of the chorus to commemorate their importance.

“Temporary Fix”— Right off the bat, I’m feeling a mix between “Little White Lies” and “No Control” and I couldn’t be more pleased. I can’t wait to make everyone I know listen to this song. Woah. I’m not sure what I have to say other than I love this. That bridge though. This song has given me new life and I’m having a solo dance party in my room.

“Walking in the Wind”— The first 30 seconds of this song have already provided so many quotable lyrics. I will definitely be seeing them as Instagram captions in the near future. I envision this song during a montage in a rom-com movie, where the couple is dancing on a rooftop, sharing a frozen hot chocolate and stealing glances at each other. It’s wistful and romantic in the best sort of way.

“Wolves”— I’m trying to formulate words about this song but I’m not coming up with much truthfully. I’m overwhelmed. I think it may be one of my favorites, in high competition with just about every other song on this album.

“A.M.”— “All my favorite conversations always made in the a.m.” Yes. This is so enjoyable. I love that this is clearly based on experiences but it also honors the time during which this outstanding album was created. I’m so pleased.

Well, now that I’ve heard all of the 17 songs on this album, I’d like to immediately order a Grammy to be delivered to the homes of the boys. I really don’t think I’m asking for too much here. If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go listen to it several more times and talk about it for the next 72 hours to my friends. Thank you for taking this journey with me. Peace, love and 1D.

Photo credit: mazeblog.com