Top 7 University Of Florida Game Day Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Tips and tricks to make your game days the best days of the year

University of Florida game days are the best days of the year. You are surrounded by all your friends wearing a spirited game-day look and most likely watching the Gators beat yet another team. Navigating game days can be challenging when thousands of people flood the campus and temperatures exceed 90 degrees. Here are a few items needed to have a successful game day in The Swamp:

1. A clear purse

You can only have one bag to enter the stadium, which must be clear. This policy ensures fan safety and is not only a UF rule. Clear purses are not hard to find but can be a little boring. Amazon has great clear bags that are affordable, durable and follow the stadium regulations. This Amazon clear purse with gold chain and clear purse with detachable strap are both under $20. To spice up your clear bag, add a spirited purse strap. Etsy has adorable designs that personalize your purse. The “Go Gators” purse strap easily attaches to a clear purse, is adjustable and is a durable fabric material. My favorite purse straps are beaded because they elevate the somewhat boring clear bag. The “Go Gators” beaded purse strap adds a fancier touch. Another option is just a solid orange purse strap. You can also add a beaded coin purse to the inside of your clear bag for under $25. I love how this one from Etsy is orange with “Go Gators” written in blue beads.

2. A pair of boots

Students channel their inner cowgirl selves on game days, and I am all for it. Gainesville is country, right? Not only are boots so cute and different from your frat shoes, but they are also stable and comfortable to walk around. These white boots are under $50, are the perfect low heel height and are vegan. You are practically saving the environment. If you don’t love white boots, try these basic brown boots, which are also under $50 and have a low heel height. Boots can be paired with skirts, shorts, rompers and dresses; you can’t go wrong with wearing boots on a UF game day. 

3. Sunscreen

The Gainesville heat and sun are powerful, and nobody wants to wake up sunburned the day after a fun game day. COOLA makeup setting spray with SPF 30 will keep your makeup in place all day and adds extra sun protection. This product is not sticky, and it mattifies your face. It is also refreshing when you reapply throughout the day. Another product I love for game days is the Sun Bum face mist with SPF 45. This product is lightweight, goes nicely over makeup and, most importantly, protects your skin from the sun. Sun Bum has amazing suncare products that are truly life savers when living in  The Swamp. The IT Cosmetics CC Cream is similar to a tinted moisturizer but has more coverage. This product is impressive for a few reasons: it gives good coverage, stays in place all day even when you are sweating, is non-comedogenic and protects your skin from the sun with SPF 50. Even though it is SPF 50, it does not have the same sticky or greasy feeling as some other sunblock. Forgetting to wear sun protection on hot, sunny days in  The Swamp can ruin your game day and cause wrinkles (according to Better Health’s article titled “Wrinkles”), so don’t forget to apply and reapply.

4. Orange and blue

Obviously, orange and blue are essential for game days in the Swamp. Amazon, H&M, Zara, the UF Bookstore and Etsy have some of the best accessories and outfits for Gator game days. Jewelry is my favorite part of dressing up for Saturdays. ENewton is one of my favorite brands because of its incredible quality and timeless designs. Their hope unwritten orange and blue bracelet set is the perfect way to show extra Gator spirit. While these bracelets are on the pricier side, they will last forever and do not only need to be worn on game days. Etsy’s orange and blue clay disc bracelet and Etsy’s gators beaded bracelet set are other accessories that are sure to elevate your outfit. Etsy is full of creative designers, and hundreds of UF-themed products appear with a quick search. While it can be easy just to wear either gold or silver earrings, you should have fun with color. Amazon has some trendy and affordable orange and blue earring options, such as orange chunky hoops for under $10 and gold and royal blue hoops for under $20. Remember that your game-day look does not only include clothes; the accessories are always the best part!

5. Sunglasses

Nobody wants to squint all day, and you don’t want to miss any Gators winning on the field. Sunglasses are compact and can easily be added to your clear bag. It is way too sunny to go without sunglasses, especially for a noon game. These Amazon orange aviators are under $15, and while you might not be the only girl wearing these, they are a more spirited alternative to a class black pair of shades. 

6. Perfume

When you spend the whole day outside in excruciating heat, you want to ensure that you still smell good. Having a fragrant roller ball or travel-size perfume will save you on game days. I am obsessed with Valentino Donna Born in Roma, Yves Saint Laurent Black Opium and Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Crush. Add your favorite fragrance to your game-day purse now, so you don’t forget!

7. Water

Once again, Gainesville is incredibly hot. The heat is powerful and can lead to a very unpleasant game day if you are unprepared. Staying hydrated is so important, especially when you spend hours outdoors. Drinking plenty of water will help your body regulate properly and will keep you feeling energetic. According to the Cleveland Clinic’s article on Dehydration, it is essential to drink enough water so you don’t feel thirsty. Symptoms of dehydration can appear quickly, including dizziness, flushed skin, muscle cramps, high heart rate but low blood pressure, dry mouth, swollen feet, fatigue, headache, dark-colored urine, chills, loss of appetite, sugar cravings and weakness.  To remain feeling your best on game days,  don’t forget to drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated.

Game days at the University of Florida are truly the best days of the year. To make the most of the few home games, wear a stylish clear purse with a fun bag strap (and maybe a beaded coin purse), wear boots, don’t forget to apply sunscreen, get decked out in orange and blue, bring your sunglasses, spritz some perfume and drink plenty of water. 

Hey everyone! I am Neenah Brown, a second-year English major at the University of Florida. I am so excited to be able to pursue my passion for journalism on the Her Campus UFL team! In my free time, I like to work out, play tennis, shop, spend time with friends, go to the beach and eat at Chick-Fil-A. My writing is usually about shopping and clothing trends and college life as a Gator. After graduation, I plan on attending law school.