Through the Female Gaze: Top 5 Films Directed by Female Directors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a self-proclaimed cinephile, I list every movie that I watch on an extensively detailed spreadsheet. Riddled with different labels from the date, genre and director, I make sure to cover as many bases as possible. Although I’m probably the only person who cares to see this monster of a spreadsheet, I do my best to find ways to improve it. Recently, I’ve realized that I should branch out into different genres, but I also discovered the lack of movies created by female directors within my list. My love for film blossomed out of the medium’s ability to tell a diverse array of stories and transport viewers into unbelievable realities. By twisting time, laws of physics and a few special effects, movies can create almost any scenario imaginable. 

Despite this, the mysterious worlds I was drawn to every weekend were only coming from the minds of men. While male directors have created stunning films, there is something to behold in the work of female directors. These pieces unlock new imaginations brimming with bold, brilliant realities that deserve an equal chance at the spotlight. According to a study by the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film, women make up only 21% of the directors and writers for the top 100 grossing films in 2020. Despite their role in innovating the film industry and creating groundbreaking work, women have yet to receive the praise they deserve. 

In order to expand both my watchlist and yours, here are some of the top films by female directors that you should check out. 

“The Matrix” (Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski)

If you haven’t watched this 1999 classic yet, allow me to be the reason you binge-watch this film series soon! “The Matrix” is one of the staples within the sci-fi genre that follows our protagonist, Neo, as he slowly reveals the true nature of the “reality” around him. Through the fast-paced, cyberpunk background of 2199, the character challenges himself to find out about the Matrix. The sister duo behind the films, Lana Wachowski and Lilly Wachowski, were catapulted to the sci-fi hall of fame for this mind-bending series. Through their work, they popularized a visual effect known as “bullet time.” While it is a staple for fans of action, the films grasps a wide range of essential subjects such as philosophy, religion and identity. The directors have spoken about their work not being static, but there is merit in fans’ belief that they tackle transgender themes. After coming out as trans women, the directors believe that the film can be viewed as an allegory for transness, and it provides a different lens for the film. 

“Daisies” (Věra Chytilová)

“Daisies” is the rebellious, unruly piece of Věra Chytilová that is considered by many as one of the staples of feminist cinema. The movie follows two teenage girls as they break the norms that society tries to impose on them and instead give those around them a run for their money. Through a series of pranks and a reign of mischief, the girls become the unforgettable stars of “Daisies.” The film is visually unparalleled, witty and lends the audience a front-row seat into the philosophy of the protagonists. It is a breath of fresh air, despite its release being in 1966. This film is a rollercoaster ride that would be better experienced than reading about it, so make sure to check it out if you’re not afraid of some subtitles. 

“13th” (Ava Duvernay)

Despite its release in 2016, Duvernay’s “13th” is a film that still rings an important message in today’s America. The documentary chronicles the reality of the prison industrial complex as an institution that continues the legacies of slavery. Drawing from a lineup of great interviewees such as Angela Davis, Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Michelle Alexander, the film informs viewers how racial inequality manifests itself within the U.S through mass incarceration and over policing of Black and Latinx communities. Due to the events over the past summer, many have lifted the veil over their eyes to the reality that plagues this country. Works like “13th” provide people with a stepping-stone to learn more about the problems that jeopardize the lives of so many people within this country and the work that still needs to be done to truly be the “land of the free.” 

“Marie Antoinette” (Sofia Coppola)

This might be one of the worst-rated films on this list, but I will still include it and stand by my choice! I am a huge fan of Sofia Coppola’s rendition of the story of Marie Antoinette. While some critique it for being too exuberant or unrealistic, I believe that it’s what makes this film so great. Coppola has a way of making her works into dreamscapes that help you get closer with the female protagonist while still not fully understanding them. It is a fresh spin on the same hashed-out story that presents itself through beautiful cinematography and vibrant costumes, backgrounds and action. Perhaps it lacks the depressing reality of the monarchic rule of Marie Antoinette, but it is an excellent piece of media for escapism.

“Pariah” (Dee Rees)

As one of the more emotional entries on this list, “Pariah” is a heart-touching exploration of the protagonist’s struggle to embrace her identity. Hailing from Brooklyn, Alike deals with her decision to accept that she is a lesbian and what this means in a pious household. The movie highlights the many aspects that she must juggle, including her family, friends, love life and school. The performance by lead star Adepero Oduye is incredible and leaves viewers in awe of the harsh yet beautiful life of Alike. The movie is a touching tale and is a hidden gem within the sea of modern films. 

These films show the wide range of stories that women can tell when behind the camera, whether it be a sci-fi classic, historical piece or coming of age film. While women continue to struggle for representation within the film industry, I hope this list provides you with an entry point to discover the world of female-directed films. Considering that it’s Women’s History Month, make sure to check out one of these films or the works of these incredible directors!

Arlette is a third year Journalism major and Latin American Studies minor at the University of Florida. Born and raised in Miami, they love anything that connects them to nature and sunshine. Whenever they aren't reading or writing, they can be found gardening, baking, crafting, or analyzing psychological thrillers. Passionate about all things people centered, they hope to pursue a career that allows them to stay close and accountable to their community.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.