These are the Must-Sees When in New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

No matter where you’re from or what your background is, there is a spot for you in the city of New Orleans.

Being a native New Orleanian myself, I’ll be the first to admit that this is a city that should be on everyone’s bucket list.

From good food, outstanding talent and great sights, you’re destined to find something that suits your fancy.

Jackson Square

Jackson Square is a historic landmark in the big easy.

Proclaimed in 1960, this piece of history located in the heart of the French Quarter is one of the most beautiful parks in New Orleans.

The St. Louis cathedral is in Jackson Square and open to the public every day.

This cathedral is one of the oldest that remains standing; it is also the seat of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New Orleans.

All around Jackson Square you’ll see vendors selling their art and all kinds of musical talent on the streets.

Near the cathedral, you’ll also see tarot cards and palm readers, too.

You can go from a peaceful walk in a beautiful scenery or spice things up by getting your palm read.

Regardless of your preference, it’s a great place to experience some true, authentic New Orleans energy.

Live shows

No matter what day or what time of year, New Orleans almost always has a good show to look forward to.

Many great bands are from New Orleans, such as the Revivalists, Generationals, Woozy and much more.

There are many fun venues in New Orleans, such as Champions Square, Gasa Gasa, Tipitinas, the Joy Theater, the Saenger Theater and the Smoothie King Center.

Over the summer I had the chance to see some amazing acts such as Anderson .Paak, Noname, Thundercat and Generationals.

Being in the audience for a concert in New Orleans hits differently because the city is so musically cultured.

It’s great being surrounded by people who are passionate about the same artists that are performing a killer show.

Café Du Monde

Café Du Monde is a famous café in the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Aging back to 1862, this 24/7 café serves the best coffee and beignets, or French doughnuts.

Beignets are fried fritters served with powdered sugar on top. It’s a fairly simple concept, but the mouthwatering taste will have you begging for more.

City Park

This park is one of the oldest in the country.

City Park is over 1,300 acres large and has more tourist attractions than you can count.

City Park is a great place for people of all ages.

There are attractions designed just for kids, such as Storyland, a storybook themed amusement park.

Not only does this famous attraction have the most beautiful nature trails and oak trees, but City Park is home to the New Orleans Museum of Art, botanical and sculpture gardens, and lakes where you can rent gondolas, paddle boats, canoes and kayaks.

City Park is also home to the Voodoo Music + Arts Experience.

Magazine Street

Magazine Street is one of the most famous parts of New Orleans.

It is known for its good food, bars, shops and my favorite, Peaches Records, an independent record store.

Magazine Street is approximately six miles long and has higher end thrift stores such as Funky Monkey and the Buffalo Exchange.

My personal favorite eatery on Magazine Street is Dat Dog; it’s a restaurant where you can customize hot dogs and choose from a selection of milkshakes.

They even offer a chai tea flavored shake!

Olivia Trejo is a 3rd year public relations major at the University of Florida. With a strong passion for people and music, she hopes to pursue a career in the music industry after college.