element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Is There Such a Thing as “Just Friends?”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s a storyline that we see repeatedly in books, songs, and movies—a line of friendship blurs and there’s a desire for something more than just that. When people claim to be “just friends,” it always seems as though they have a little too much chemistry to remain platonic. Is it truly possible to be friends with someone you’re attracted to? Several UF students have different opinions on the matter. Sofia, a sophomore public relations major, reflected on her personal experience. “I’ve had a lot of friendships with guys that have never gone anywhere beyond that,” she said. “With one friend, we both had feelings for each other. And sometimes in that case, you both determine that it’s better to just be friends and then from there, you move on.”

A lot of the time, people find a friendship something far more valuable than the possibility of starting a relationship, fearing that the end of a relationship wouldn’t mean the end of the friendship altogether. Some, however, consider it to be inevitable. Marie, a senior advertising major, was skeptical of how long a friendship could last without something romantic happening. “I think that two could remain friends but probably not for long,” she said. “I give it a couple months, but then eventually someone is going to want something more.” Mariah, a junior economics major, ended up in a long-term relationship with a guy she’d been friends with for a long time, and they’ve been together for over three years.

Jordan, a freshman at UF, said, “If you find them attractive, then you already see them as more than a friend.” If there is that attraction between two people, it’s not necessarily that easy to forget. Bridget, a UF senior, believes the opposite, saying, “Those are the best kinds of friendship. You have a close connection because you’re attracted to them, so you tend to be able share more thoughts and feelings.”

Each person is different. With that being said, it’s hard to make a rule that applies to all. I believe this is something that varies case by case, depending on the people involved and what they want to make of the situation. I do think it’s importany to know yourself and know what you want in order to make the most out of your friendships—or potential relationships.

Photocredit: tumblr.com