This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It has happened to all of us – you feel like you are at an all-time high, but once you leave the concert you are left sad and yearning for more. Concerts are a place where you feel extreme joy and are most at peace, but for many concert-goers, the next few days are a series of events that are referred to as “post-concert depression.”

Why it happens:

While it may seem abstract at first, studies have been conducted and show the reality behind this feeling. Psychometrician, Lyen Krenz Yap, at Ateneo de Davao University in Davao, Philippines was the first to formally dive into this issue. Through her study, Yap found a correlation “between diagnostic features of a Major Depressive Disorder and Post-Concert Depression, particularly in effect, cognition, memory recall, and coping mechanisms.”

Chicago therapist Amanda Atkins also provides an explanation to the issue and addresses “post-concert depression” as a consequence of sudden endings to events that you look forward to: everything from concerts, to even birthdays and weddings. Others in the field have also attributed the issue to the extensive planning that goes into these events and the anxiety and excitement that leads up to it.

Studies show that concerts and live music performances can relieve stress and even boost dopamine production in the brain. While you may feel overwhelmingly joyful in the moment, Yap and others in the field of psychology explain that the sudden and abrupt ending of a show is comparable to feelings of emptiness, disappointment, longing and heartache.

Yap’s research was eye-opening in the way it explained the intense emotion audience members face after concerts, yet her study faces controversy in the way it words the problem.

Straying away from the term:

The controversy around “post-concert depression” stems from the wording that is used to explain the emotions that happen after a concert. While “post-concert depression” is a feeling that does occur, it is crucial to acknowledge the criticism and how this wording can affect individuals who face chronic, diagnosed depression. 

Yap acknowledges this in her study and states “if it’s possible to find another term to describe the experience, the community as a whole would benefit.” 

Rather than tossing the term depression around so lightly, we can consider “post-concert blues” and other similar phrases to ensure we are not invalidating the feelings of those who experience depression. 

Coping:

Acknowledging and validating your post-concert blues is the first step in moving forward from them. There are many things you can do to deal with your post-concert blues as live music returns:

1. Watch your concert videos.

Because post-concert blues arise from such an abrupt ending when the curtain closes, watching the videos you took during the night can transport you back and let you relive the moments you may miss the most.

1. Talk about the concert with anyone who attended.

If you know anyone who attended the concert, talking about it may be one of the best ways to deal with your post-concert blues. Whether it is retelling your favorite parts or talking about the set and outfits, thinking about the excitement you felt in the moment is crucial.

1. Listen to the setlist.

If you want to relive the concert, searching up a playlist of the setlist online or making your own can be a beneficial way to lift your post-concert blues. Listening to the songs in the exact order that you heard them the night of the concert will allow you to feel as if you are there again.

1. Plan for a future concert.

If all fails, you can always look for tickets to another date or begin looking forward to seeing the artist for their next tour. Often, the key to liftin your post-concert blues is realizing that you can see the artist again.

The reality behind post-concert blues is valid and commonly experienced by concertgoers. As we continue to look forward to more concerts as the effects of the pandemic begin to decrease, it is imperative to acknowledge this feeling, be mindful of others in the way we describe it and learn how to deal with it to ensure it doesn’t cloud over our concert experience.

Anita is a second-year public health and biology major with a minor in health disparities on the pre-med track! She has a passion for promoting equity in the medical field and hopes to share this through her writing. When she's not busy writing or studying you can often find her taking cycle classes, travelling, bullet journaling, and reading!