The Best Snacks To Keep In Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

A snacker’s guide to a healthy dorm room pantry

College is full of new experiences and challenges — one being eating. For avid-snackers, meal plans can be a huge adjustment, and for many out there, figuring out what to eat is a daily struggle. While it’s tempting to hit the vending machine every time you get the munchies, eating healthy snacks is important for maintaining balance within your diet and life. If you need inspiration for healthy and convenient snacks to keep in your dorm room, look no further. Here are 16 of the best snack ideas to get you through the semester. 

1. Pretzels

Pretzels are a great option because they’re high in fiber, minerals and Vitamin B and low in fat and calories. They also keep for a while, are easy to store and can be taken with you wherever you go. The sheer variety of pretzels out there would likely last you an entire semester, but be wary of eating too much salt, which pretzels tend to have a lot of. You can find pretzels in most grocery stores (especially if you go to a chain like Publix), as well as at the markets located on campus.

2. Dried Fruit

If you’re looking for a source of fruit that won’t brown in a day, dried fruit is the perfect alternative. This snack has more fiber and beneficial antioxidants than fresh fruit, and it is also easy to store and take with you. Dried fruit can also be a good substitute for dessert, but just be mindful of the added sugars. If you’re looking for healthier dried fruit, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods are good places to find them. 

3. Hummus

Hummus has been linked to a myriad of health benefits because it’s so rich with important vitamins and minerals. While you’ll have to keep hummus in the fridge, this is a great dip for carrots, crackers, pretzels and other veggies and snacks which can make for a good in-between-class meal. You should be able to find it at your local grocery store. 

4. Nuts

If you’re finding yourself hungry all the time, consider buying some nuts for your room. They are known for keeping you full for longer, and they’re a good source of healthy fat. Aside from lowering cholesterol and reducing inflammation, nuts are packed with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants to help you lower your risk of heart attack and stroke and keep you going throughout the day.

5. Popcorn

Depending on the type you have, popcorn isn’t necessarily the healthiest snack, but it can be a good option if you need something to tide you over. It’s easy, quick, there’s usually lots of servings to last you throughout the week and it can be found in most stores.

6. Fresh Fruit

If you can incorporate fresh food into your snack routine, you should. Fresh fruit makes it easy. Fruit is high in fiber, vitamins and minerals and is relatively easy to take with you. It is also high in natural sugars, so skip the Broward dining hall ice cream when you feel sugar cravings coming on. The drawback to having fruit in your dorm is that it doesn’t keep very well for very long, so you’ll have to eat it quickly after buying. Luckily, fruit can be found at pretty much any store you go to.

7. Cereal 

For many, breakfast is the easiest meal to skip, but you shouldn’t ignore this important beginning to your day. If you buy the right kind, cereal is perfect for getting you geared up for the day, energizing you with the necessary nutrients. Among the healthiest cereals are bran and whole grain cereals, but as long as you’re not eating Lucky Charms everyday, you really can’t go wrong. Additionally, you can complement your cereal with whole, almond or coconut milk, which provide even more health benefits. Find cereal wherever you buy groceries. 

8. Yogurt

Yogurt is an underrated snack you should definitely consider keeping in your fridge. Not only does it keep you full for longer, but it also includes protein, calcium, and probiotics which is great for gut health. Yogurt can also be eaten with healthy toppings such as granola or berries—perfect for a small lunch between classes.

9. Oatmeal

Oatmeal often doesn’t get the props it deserves. It’s cheap, quick, easy, energizing and dorm approved. While it includes lots of the health benefits that most snacks on this list do, it can be combined with healthy toppings as well. Buying a box of instant oat packets is a good idea because it will last you, and you won’t have to waste time going to the store so often.

10. Granola Bars

It goes without saying that granola bars are some of the best snacks out there. Extremely convenient, granola bars should be your go-to before class or pre-workout snack. You can play around with different brands to see what works best for you, but some good brands out there include Kind Bars (good variety and good for breakfast bars), RX Bars (good if you’re looking for healthy granola bars with minimal ingredients and no additives), Lara Bars (good if you hate the taste of dates but want them in your diet) and That’s It Bars (hands-down the best dried fruit bars). There are lots of granola bar options at grocery stores and the campus markets.

11. Dark Chocolate

If you’re trying to beat sugar cravings, and fruit simply isn’t enough, dark chocolate should do the trick. It may come as a surprise to some, but dark chocolate actually includes tons of nutrients and offers several health benefits, so it is a worthy candidate the next time you find yourself browsing the candy aisle.

12. Trail Mix

Trail mix has everything you need — from nuts to dried fruit to dark chocolate. You can also make your own trail mix, so this snack is easily customizable and worth carrying with you from class to class or having around in your dorm.

13. Honey Sticks

We all know that honey has several medicinal properties, and the frat flu is real, so you should definitely take this snack seriously. Small and easy to store, honey sticks are a must the next time you catch something. You can find them at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. 

14. Beef Jerky

Looking for protein? Beef jerky (and jerky in general) has you covered. This snack has a long shelf life and is portable. Plus, it’s high in nutrients and vitamins best found in meat. Publix has a good selection of jerky, but you can find it elsewhere as well.

15. Rice Cakes

Rice cakes are probably the most boring snack on this list, but they can make instant meals when combined with peanut butter, banana, hummus or any other spread or topping. They’re also good on their own and cheap with a good shelf life. However, they’re low in calories, protein, fiber and essentially everything else, so they’re not a recommended meal supplement, unless you combine them with something else. 

16. Bagels

Bagels are a personal favorite for good reason. They’re quick and easy meals that leave you full for longer — and even better when combined with healthy toppings such as peanut butter and cream cheese. They don’t have a very long shelf life though, especially with humidity, so be aware of that before buying. 

College is hard but eating shouldn’t have to be. The next time you’re craving a mid-afternoon (or midnight) snack, consider these healthy options. Balancing your meals with snacks will make you more awake, more productive and more able to juggle college life. 

Grace McClung is a first-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is from Denver, Colorado and loves poetry, running, and the beach.