Style

The Best and Easiest Group Costumes To Wear This Halloween 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The perfect Halloween costumes for you and your crew. 

We’re just a few short weeks away from Halloween, and it’s time to start planning costumes with your favorite girl gang. Whether you’re just a duo or have a big friend group, Halloween is more fun together. Why not keep the spirit going with matching costumes? Cheap and relatively easy to pull off, these are 10 of the best Halloween costumes for your squad. 

1. Fairies

We’re starting off strong with a somewhat unoriginal idea, but that doesn’t change the appeal factor of this idea. Fairies are always cute, always in style and always easy to dress as, so they’re super easy to coordinate among bigger groups. You and your friends could either be the Pixie Hollow Fairies (Tinker Bell, Rosetta, Silvermist, Iridessa, Fawn and Vidia) or just regular fairies. If you go the Disney route, you can play around with hair and wardrobe colors as each fairy has their own signature look. For example, Tinker Bell is nothing without her green dress and blonde bun. But, if you opt for the simpler fairy choice, you can personalize your costume more; pair a trendy butterfly top with a mini skirt or try a cottage-core-esque mini dress with sheer wings. Fairy costumes are great because you can find them almost everywhere you shop for clothes — and definitely on Amazon and other online stores. 

2. Disney Princesses

Like Disney but hate the thought of fairies? Maybe Disney princesses are more up your alley. Again, these costumes are popular but for good reason; they’re easy, cute and look great in a group. You can get creative with the princesses because all you really have to follow is a color scheme: blue for Cinderella, purple and green for Ariel, green for Tiana, etc. Put on a cute dress, heels or boots, add a plastic crown and you’re good to go. 

3. LEGO Friends Girls

This idea may be a bit more niche, but it’s definitely more original than some of the other ones if originality is what you’re going for. The LEGO Friends include Heart Lake City’s finest: Stephanie, Andrea, Olivia, Mia and Emma, all of whom have had face time in several LEGO sets and their own show (wearing the same outfit almost the entire time). Luckily for you, this means they’re pretty recognizable. Their appearances have been revamped recently, but if you’re interested in the OG look, you can always catch Mia in a ponytail, blue butterfly tank and green butterfly pants to match, and you’ll always see Stephanie in pink shorts and a white star tank, for example. Just hit up the girls’ section of your local target, and you’ll be set for the 31st

4. Solar System

This is another idea that isn’t seen as much, but with a little effort, it can seriously be the it group costume of the night.  Google will probably supply you with inspo pictures that are a little dorky, but never fear, you can still make this costume hot. Lean into those ethereal vibes and find patterns and colors to match the planets. You could even just wear a plain-colored dress or top and add headpieces, jewelry and makeup to represent the cosmic aspect of your costume. For example, put on a sparkly silver dress, moon or star earrings and silver makeup, and you’re suddenly the moon. 

5. Mean Girls

October is the month of Mean Girls, and while Halloween might not fall on the third, this is still an iconic movie to recreate on the 31st. Unfortunately, this Halloween is a Monday, but you’re still going to wear pink. This idea works best for a group of four to include Regina, Karen, Cady and Gretchen, but you could also incorporate Janis and Damian, as well. For the group of four, the costume is pretty simple: all pink for Gretchen; white top, pink cardigan, black skirt for Regina; pink collared shirt (or red shirt) and jeans for Cady; and pink shirt and plaid beige skirt for Gretchen. 

6. Clueless

While on the topic of iconic movies, it’s only fair to include Clueless. This idea works best for a trio since the most central characters are Cher, Dionne and Tai. There are also a lot of different ways you could go with this depending on what scene you want to recreate, but the obvious choices for Cher and Dionne are their signature matching school-girl sets. Still, the trio shares several memorable fashion moments, so you really can’t go wrong. Amazon has their actual outfits, but it would also be easy to recreate them yourselves. 

7. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland isn’t an idea I’ve seen before, so you and your group should consider snagging it before it finds the masses. With so many characters, from Alice to the Queen of Hearts to the Mad Hatter to the Cheshire cat, there’s no shortage of possibilities. Alice in Wonderland leans to the more “strange” side, but you can use this to go all out. Again, look for color schemes and add statement jewelry and makeup to more simple clothing to pull this off. The great thing about Halloween is that you don’t have to be perfect reincarnations of the characters. You can put your own spin on it as long as you have a defining feature of that character. This is a great thing for college costumes. 

8. Bratz/Barbies

This is another highly popular idea, but it is an idea that is also highly cute and highly easy. Bratz are preppy and flashy. Barbies are the same, just in pink. If you don’t want to drop a ton of dough for Halloween, search your closet for something that would fit either aesthetic — you probably have it. Anyone can participate. With no central characters, even the biggest of friend groups can pull it off. This is also a good idea if you’re into makeup since Bratz and Barbie-inspired makeup is not nearly as demanding as the Cheshire cat might be.  

9. scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo as a costume isn’t in any way new, but it is super easy — especially for last-minute costumes (since so many of us will be scrambling before Halloweekend). For Velma, grab some orange and some smart-looking frames, and you’re ready to join Daphne in her purple dress and green necktie. The other characters are just as easy, and these basic clothing items can be worn into December far after Halloween has passed.

10. Euphoria Girls

Euphoria was all the rage, so making it into a costume makes sense — especially since the elaborate makeup looks are pretty identifying characteristics of the characters. I’m a fan of this costume idea because the actual costume doesn’t have to be a costume at all. You can use a lot of their outfits as going-out clothes later, so you’re not wasting money on a one-time wear thing. You don’t even have to be a specific character; as long as you have the Euphoria look, you don’t need anything else. 

Halloween with the crew has never been easier! If you don’t have the time, effort, money or resources to wear an elaborate costume this Halloween, just keep the color scheme + accessory equation in mind, and any of these costumes are within reach. 

Grace McClung is a first-year journalism major at the University of Florida. She is from Denver, Colorado and loves poetry, running, and the beach.