This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We have finally entered the season for the 94th Academy Awards, which will take place on March 27. Originally, Hollywood’s night out was supposed to take place on Feb. 27, but it was moved back due to a combination of sporting events and COVID concerns. Thankfully, the evening will once again take place in The Dolby Theatre after a year away. Amy Schumer, Regina Hall and Wanda Sykes were recently announced as the hosts, which is sure to make for a humor-filled night. Interestingly, it was recently announced that this year will feature a fan vote via Twitter for a special award. This has not been done before and will be a way to engage younger audiences with the night. 

Since the nominations were announced on Feb. 8, I have been eager to watch and analyze all the top contenders. The film with the most nominations is “The Power of the Dog,” which came in with 12 total.

Although the nominations were mostly what I expected, some favorites of mine were left out, which is inevitable in such an opinionated industry. Personally, I really enjoyed “Spencer,” which tells the story of Princess Diana’s mental state at the end of her marriage. Luckily, Kristen Stewart was nominated for Best Actress for her portrayal of Diana, but the film did not manage to slip into the Best Picture category. I also found “The Tragedy of Macbeth” to have some incredible acting, so I was disappointed to see that Frances McDormand was not nominated for playing Lady Macbeth. However, Denzel Washington was nominated for Best Actor for his role of Macbeth. Another movie that I thought should have gotten more nominations was “Licorice Pizza,” which was a very enjoyable and well-made film.

Despite a few qualms, I am very excited for March 27 and can’t wait to celebrate 2021’s impact on the film industry!

“The Power of the Dog”

“The Power of the Dog” was directed by Jane Campion and stars Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Kodi Smith-McPhee and Jesse Plemons. The film is available for streaming on Netflix. Cumberbatch stars as Phil Burbank, who is a rancher struggling with his self-identity and insecurities. He takes most of this frustration out on Dunst’s character, which leads to a shocking and insightful final act. The film is currently a top contender for Best Picture, as it has earned the most nominations. The film is also monumental as it is the first film directed by a woman to receive more than 10 nominations. I recommend this film if you enjoy a deep dive into the human psyche and the struggle for self-identification. 

“Dune”

“Dune” was one of the most talked-about films of 2021, which led to it receiving 10 nominations. The film was directed by Denis Villeneuve and stars Timothée Chalamet, Oscar Isaac and Rebecca Ferguson. The story is based on Frank Herbert’s science fiction novel from 1965. Even though it received so many nominations, many fans were upset by the fact that it did not receive any recognition for the acting. However, fans can count on the fact that the next film in the story will also receive critical acclaim.

“West Side Story”

“West Side Story” tells the well-known love affair of Tony and Maria in gang-ridden New York. Stephen Spielberg directed this new adaptation of the classic, which stars Rachel Zegler, Ariana DeBose and Ansel Elgort. This version provides the same excitement and sadness as the original but with a fresh perspective. “West Side Story” received seven nominations at the Oscars. 

“Belfast”

“Belfast” also received seven nominations. The film is a personal story written and directed by Kenneth Branagh about the war between Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. The film manages to combine the trials of coming-of-age with the issues of society at a certain time. 

“Drive My Car”

“Drive My Car” received four nominations. The film was directed by Japanese filmmaker Ryusuke Hamaguchi and is based on a short story written by Haruki Murakami. It tells the story of an actor and his chauffeur and the relationship that follows their meeting. “Drive My Car” is the only international film in the race for Best Picture, which would make it only the third to win the prestigious award. 

The Oscars are sure to bring about a bunch of surprises alongside an exciting night of television, which makes it one of my favorite nights of the year. After a drought of new films during the peak of the COVID pandemic, it is more important than ever to celebrate and recognize the art that stood out this past year!

Minna is an English major at the University of Florida. She is a features editor for Her Campus UFL.