Thanksgiving Recovery: 3 Meals to Help You Get Back to Healthy Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After all those meals you ate during Thanksgiving that made you feel like your stomach was going to explode, you may need a way to detox and get your body back to normal. Here are three meals to get you started on your road to recovery.

1. BreakfastAccording to eatingwell.com, the best way to start off your day on the right (and healthy) track is to have a meal ranging from 300 to 350 calories. An easy breakfast for a morning on-the-go is 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/4 cup of nonfat plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of berries. Add a 12 oz. nonfat latte for a pick-me-up, and voila! Your meal is just less than 350 calories.

2. LunchWondering what to do with all that leftover turkey? Repurpose that fowl and make a sandwich! All you need are two slices of whole wheat bread, 1 tablespoon of light olive oil-based mayonnaise, half a cucumber and, of course, turkey. Now you have a great mid-day meal. For a crunchy and delicious dessert, try adding a pear to the meal.

3. DinnerPut all that American food to rest and spice up your dinner with a beef and bean chile verde. There’s a great recipe on eatingwell.com, which you can check out here. It takes about half an hour to make and feeds four people. Round out your dinner with half a cup of quinoa and a chocolate chip cookie.

After just one day of detox, you’ll probably feel much better. Hopefully your transition to healthy eating is a relatively painless one that doesn’t include you dreaming of gravy and marshmallows for months to come. For more detox meal ideas after the holidays, check out what the experts of EatingWell have planned here.

Hi! My name is Kristia, but I also go by Kris. I'm from Miami, but now I'm at the University of Florida. I'm a second-year public relations major and a member of Alpha Omicron Pi. Some of my favorite things to do are painting, reading, blogging and finding new music.I'm a cat person. My favorite place in the whole world is Costa Rica. You can check out my personal blog at thehiddenbeats.wordpress.com