Text Kitten: A Few of My Favorite Things

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As a lover of all things literature, I hope to share with you, my fellow bookworms, an extended look into a world of escape. Let’s go into a world away from the boy drama, the stress of classes, and the post-grad expectations… a world of text. We’ll explore everything from cathartic writing to all things print. So grab a cup of tea and sink into your favorite chair with me, the Text Kitten.

Since we’re in the “getting to know you” stage, I thought that I’d start by sharing a few of my favorite books.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:
I’ll start off by saying that I’m a huge Austen fan. Every book she wrote is amazing in its own right, but Mr. Darcy will always have a special place in my heart. He was the first male fictional character that I fell in love with. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not perfect. In fact, he can be downright rude. But the fact that he goes out of his way to humbly fix his wrong-doings to win over the lovely Elizabeth? Swoon. Pride and Prejudice is timeless – there’s guy trouble, friend drama, embarrassing family issues and even the Regency version of clubbing. What’s not to like?

Outlander (series) by Diana Gabaldon:
This one comes with a bit of warning for some – it’s a little on the racy side at times (though there’s nothing wrong with that!). It’s a historical-meets-time-travel-meets-romance novel. Post-WWII Claire gets thrown back in time to the 1700s thanks to some ancient Druid stones in Scotland. She tries to find her way back, but a certain hot honorable Highlander keeps getting in the way. Author Gabaldon has done extensive research to compile a novel packed full with historical references, who-done-it plot puzzles and a bit of melt-worthy stolen moments. Read quickly – there’s talk of a movie coming soon.

Bossypants by Tina Fey:
It is common knowledge that Fey is hilarious. So it’s no surprise that her recent memoir is just as entertaining. I laughed so hard that I cried at times. From her childhood days with a bad haircut to her rise in a male-dominated comedy industry, this book will have you giggling from start to finish with just enough seriousness to keep you sane. My favorite part is when she talks about her first period (10-year-old Fey thought it was supposed to be blue!) 

What are your favorites?