Text Kitten: The Experience of Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We all read — whether we’re studying textbooks for an exam, staying updated on the latest fashion in Vogue or snuggling up with the latest national bestseller. But in a world where everything is making the move to digital, the public (and especially the publishing industry) has to ask: e-reader or physical book?

Personally, I have nothing against e-readers. They are truly convenient for the modern, avid reader. Want to take seven different books with you on vacation but don’t want to waste precious luggage space? No problem!

Kindles and Nooks store multiple books, sort of like the book version of your iPod’s music library.  You can even use them to borrow books — some local libraries have a download that allows you to take out an electronic version on-line so that you don’t even have to leave your house.  It’s also cheaper to publish and buy—no paper. This is refreshing news for collegiettes. With the costs of textbooks being as steep as they are, it is easy to see the benefit of having a book on your iPad or computer.

On the other hand, there is nothing that can compare to the experience of holding a book in your hands while you read. Yes, your arms may get tired. You have to actually flip a page. You can buy adorable bookmarks that show off how literate you are with a favorite quote or character. But there is nothing like seeing the tangible, ever-growing evidence of how much you love to read by looking at your over-stuffed shelves. The bent spines of books you’ve enjoyed countless times will always welcome you back.

What it all comes down to is this: It doesn’t matter what you read or how you read it, just as long as you’re actually reading!