Taylor Swift’s Chai Sugar Cookie Recipe That’s Perfect for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” hits theaters, there’s no better way to celebrate than with a delicious recipe from the pop icon herself. In 2014, Taylor Swift shared a chai sugar cookie recipe that is perfect for “cardigan” season. I’m no baking expert, but these sweet treats are sure to have you dancing ‘round the kitchen in the refrigerator light. 

Here are the ingredients that you’ll need:

Ingredients for cookies lined up
Original photo by Aytek Abdulla

Ingredients (for cookies):

½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)

½ cup vegetable oil

½ cup sugar

½ cup powdered sugar

1 large egg

2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cup flour

½ teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon salt

1 chai tea bag

Ingredients (for icing):

1 cup powdered sugar

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1 tablespoon milk or eggnog

Once you gather the necessary ingredients, you can begin making these “Enchanted” cookies.

First, place the appropriate amount of unsalted butter, vegetable oil, and sugar into a mixing bowl. I have a KitchenAid mixer that greatly expedited the process, but you can also combine these ingredients by hand. 

Next, add powdered sugar, the egg, and vanilla extract. Once these are properly stirred into the dough, mix in flour, baking soda, salt, and a tea bag. I used Tazo’s Organic Chai Tea, but any other brand will work as well. 

Here are all of the ingredients inside my mixing bowl:

Mixing bowl with dough (part of recipe walk through)
Original photo by Aytek Abdulla

Once you mix these ingredients, a soft dough should be produced. You need to let this dough chill for an hour in the refrigerator. While you wait, put on your favorite Taylor Swift album. Author’s note: “evermore” pairs wonderfully with the aroma of vanilla and chai in your kitchen to produce the perfect atmosphere for the fall season. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a cookie sheet. Next, roll the dough into round balls. You can do this with a scooper, but if you put a little vegetable oil on your fingertips you can use your hands without worrying about the dough getting stuck. Make sure that the dough balls are evenly placed on the sheet before placing it inside the oven.

picture of unbaked cookies on baking sheet
Original photo by Aytek Abdulla

The cookies will take somewhere from 10-20 minutes to fully bake. Keep an eye on them to ensure that they don’t burn and that this doesn’t turn into a “Sad Beautiful Tragic” baking affair.

Cookies out of the oven (part of recipe walk through)
Original photo by Aytek Abdulla

Ta-Da! Your cookies are ready. Now we need to prepare the icing. Mix your powdered sugar, cinnamon, and milk in a bowl. I used oat milk, but you’re welcome to select a suitable alternative. Before you cover your cookies with icing, you need to wait for them to cool down. After fifteen minutes, I dipped the cookies into the icing bowl and sprinkled cinnamon on top. Here is the final product:

Finished cookies (part of recipe walk through)
Original photo by Aytek Abdulla

I wasn’t sure what to expect with these cookies, but they were certainly a pleasant surprise. The chai and vanilla flavor pair perfectly together to create a savory, decadent interior. If you have a sweet tooth, the icing is a superb topping. It was a little too sugary for me; however, so I personally preferred the cookies without any icing. 

As the temperature begins to dip and autumn trickles into view, these chai sugar cookies are the perfect way to welcome the season with open arms. Swift’s cookies provide a bite of fall-infused heaven that leaves you with a yearning for a “When Harry Met Sally” rewatch and a new pumpkin-scented candle. After following her recipe, I think it’s safe to say that writing songs with oh-so-addicting bridges to scream in the shower isn’t Swift’s only forte. I, for one, would love to see a Taylor Swift cooking show. Happy baking, Gators!

Aytek is a freshman journalism major at the University of Florida. In the future, she hopes to pursue a career in newsmagazine writing. When she isn't penning articles, Aytek could talk your ear off about her favorite television shows, movies, albums, and books. She has an interest in analyzing media and providing cultural commentary. Aytek also enjoys visiting book stores, art museums, record stores, and coffee shops.