Taylor Swift Has Taken Over the Silver Screen With Her Eras Tour Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Taylor Swift’s has proven she never goes “out of style” and continues to find success everywhere she goes. This time, she is making the whole theater shimmer with the overwhelming success of her latest project. 

Swift is currently ruling the box office with her concert film Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. Following the progression of Swift’s different “eras” of her music career, the film is a recording of her current hit world tour: The Eras Tour. The movie, in just its opening weekend, brought in $93 million in North America and $123 million across the globe. According to Vanity Fair, the film pre-sold more than $100 million in tickets a week before its premier and broke the theater record for highest ticket sales revenue during a single day. Now in its second weekend in theaters, the film brought in an estimated $31 million. The Eras Tour concert film is now the first independently released movie to make more than $100 million through just two weekends in theaters according to Forbes.

On October 11th, Swift celebrated the premiere of the film in Los Angeles shopping center The Grove. According to Vanity Fair, AMC CEO Adam Aron and billionaire real estate developer Rick Caruso, who operates The Grove, set up a meeting to discuss hopes of securing a venue large enough to stage the world premiere of Swift’s concert film. “Of course we immediately said yes,” Caruso said to Vanity Fair. The Grove was prepared to shut down the entire mall for the first time in its 21-year existence. “We’ve never done this. I’m not sure it would ever happen again, to be honest.” 

On premiere day, The Grove closed to the public. Rolling out the pink carpet, Taylor Swift hosted many of her famous friends as well as about 2,200 of her fans to be the first to sing, dance, and enjoy the first screenings of Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. Fans spent time enjoying the mall as well as the event exchanging friendship bracelets and watching an exclusive Swift themed water show at The Grove’s central fountain as they waited for the theater doors to open and for the singer herself to arrive. 

Finally, the theaters were open. Flooded with fans enjoying candies, snacks and collectible Eras Tour buckets, everyone eventually found their seats amongst the 13 different theaters (that is so Taylor!) to watch the film. However, before the screening of the 2 hour and 48-minute film, it wouldn’t be a Taylor Swift event without her taking the time to do what she does best: thank her adoring fans.

Swift made an appearance in every theater to personally thank her fans and for all of the inevitable success this film would be thanks to everyone behind the scenes. “I hope when you watch it, you’ll feel this, but you are such a main character in it,” said Swift. “Because your spirit and your magic and your attention to detail and your passion and the ways that you showed up to this show is why it was the adventure of a lifetime for me.”

Swift’s film success only continues to grow proving time and time again that, no matter where she is, she will always make the whole place shimmer!

One last little sprinkle of Swift to cap off the moment, who will always take the opportunity to surprise her fans – she announced before arriving at the premiere via social media that the film was instead premiering a day earlier than anticipated in theaters (October 12th). Captioning her Instagram post, “Look what you genuinely made me do,” Swift nodded to her Reputation album while making the announcement.

Madison is a student at The University of Florida majoring in Mass Media Production with a minor in Graphic Design. Madison is a positive individual who loves astrology, Harry Styles, and any kind of iced coffee. When she isn't writing, you can find her shopping for plants, playing Mariokart with her friends, and perfecting her strategies for making the perfect avocado toast.