Takeaways From My Day at the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

After the TGIF feelings fade, I sometimes struggle with finding things to do on the weekend, but recently a few friends and I checked out the Hoggetowne Medieval Faire.

Located on the Alachua County Fairgrounds, the Faire is an annual event spanning three weekends.

It showcases craftspeople, performers, and artisan goods in a sprawling medieval setting.

I’d never been to anything like this before, so I was excited to check out a local event and break the cycle of my weekend Netflix marathons. 

My friends, who went to the Faire last year, remembered seeing a lot of people dressed up in medieval-style outfits and wanted to join in the fun.

I’ll admit — at first, I was a bit reluctant. As someone who very much prefers blending into the crowd look-wise, a costume sounded way out of my comfort zone. 

Still, I decided I was open to giving it a try.

We went to a local Goodwill and Outreach Thrift Store to find pieces that could be transformed.

After scouring rack after rack at Outreach, I finally found a tan, calf-length circle skirt—way out of my comfort zone.

Though when I tried it on, my friends talked me into getting it. So, my medieval outfit was born. I paired the skirt with a pink blouse from my closet and black boots.

Before the Faire, I thought I’d feel ridiculous in my outfit.

Yet when I finally put it together the morning of the Faire and saw my friends dressed up, any doubts vanished.

There’s something incredibly fun in walking around in boots, a swishy skirt and pretty blouse.

Walking into the Faire, we received compliments on our looks, and one person even mistook us as employees! 

After paying the $19 admission fee, we entered through the Faire by walking through a fake stone archway—complete with criers at the top to welcome us.

Immediately, it felt like stepping into the past (a medieval past with the technology to use credit cards and nice restrooms).

Various musicians and other performers were stationed along the walkway leading into the Faire, all dressed in elaborate suits or gowns. We lingered to watch some before continuing on to the vendors. 

Personally, seeing all the shopping options was one of the best parts of the day. It made for an incredible opportunity to support small organizations.

The majority of vendors are independent businesses, many selling handmade goods that you wouldn’t be able to find anywhere else. 

For foods, there were breads, cheeses and jams.

I picked up a jar of homemade raspberry jam. Items like soap and candles were popular, as well.

Jewelry formed the most popular category, with dozens of vendors selling earrings, bracelets, necklaces and more.

My other purchase of the day was a leather journal that was hand-bound and decorated.

As someone who loves collecting pretty journals, it was difficult not to spend my entire paycheck on all the unique books I saw.

I finally decided on one that was pocket-sized and decorate with a painted tree and the moon. 

After shopping and catching a few performances, my friends and I decided to browse the almost-overwhelming selection of foods.

There were the fairgrounds staples like pizza and funnel cakes, but there were also unique things we couldn’t try elsewhere.

We sampled quite a few desserts, but as a group, our favorite was definitely the miniature apple cider donuts we bought.

Another favorite was the gourmet soda that came in a reusable glass bottle—I chose orange cream soda at first, and cream ale when I got a refill. Completely hyped up on sugar, we browsed the remaining shops. 

Throughout the day, I consistently noticed how friendly everyone was, both the Faire employees and other attendees.

Between the nice weather and fun environment, I got to meet a lot of new people with varied interests who were all in great moods.

Even more people complimented us on our outfits, which I made me happy that I’d taken the personal risk to wear clothes out of my comfort zone. As the day went on, I definitely tired, but it was a good tired. 

Another highlight, perhaps, was an unexpected stop on our way out at the day’s end. Various stations had games, and one had axe and knife throwing.

After debating, I decided it was well worth the $5 to relive my high school softball days and throw seven axes at a wooden board.

If wearing boots, a swishy skirt and pretty blouse, throwing an axe in said outfit is downright delightful.

The stress relief potential, too, is real (although I don’t recommend axe-throwing in an uncontrolled environment). With that, we left the Faire, passing under the stone archway once again—this time, with the criers saying goodbye. 

For anyone interested in attending the Faire, here are my biggest tips and takeaways:

1) Know how much money you want to spend before you get there. While I don’t regret the things I bought, I feel like I overspent as I got caught up in the moment.

2) Bring a bag with food and water! I brought a tote with a small water bottle, but since outside food is allowed, I realized I should have brought a full lunch and a bigger water bottle. 

3) Wear comfortable shoes—this is especially important if you plan to stay for an extended amount of time. My friend and I thought we could last all day in heeled boots. We were wrong. There’s more walking than you expect, and it’s no fun when your feet are sore. 

4) You’re not too cool for this event! Sure, it might seem a little nerdy, but I often find that the best things are. Even if dressing up seems a bit out of your comfort zone, you may enjoy the environment more. Costumes ranged from elaborate ensembles to more subtle arrangements, much like mine. 

Part of the fun is embracing the environment, and overall, I think it’s Faire to say that I would absolutely attend this event again in the future.

Morgan Spraker is a sophomore English major at the University of Florida. She loves to write about ordinary people (fictional or real) doing extraordinary things. When she isn't searching for new stories, she's reading, exercising, spending time with friends, or obsessing over Marvel movies. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @morgan_spraker