Sun Smart: Preserve Your Skin and Prevent Wrinkles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As summer approaches, many UF collegiettes are focused on bikini bods and getting tan. Whether it is from visiting the tanning bed or from studying by the pool at your apartment complex, skin damage is skin damage. Having the perfect all over tan might seem like a top priority now, but who wants to be covered in wrinkles in a few years? Wrinkles are some of the last things on our minds as undergraduates, but if we do not start focusing on protecting our skin now, we could face severe beauty problems in the future.

What causes wrinkles? Numerous things can influence how soon wrinkles will appear. Some factors that cause wrinkles are genetic and out of our control, such as having fair skin. However, we can limit our sun exposure, plan a balanced diet, hydrate our bodies (inside and out) and select beauty products that are kind to our skin. Making frequent facial expressions can cause wrinkles as well. Smoking and sleeping on your side also cause skin to wrinkle.

What are measures we can take to avoid premature wrinkles? We can begin by trying to frown and squint less. Although smiling causes wrinkles as well, it is still permissible. If you visit the tanning bed regularly, consider cutting back. If you must lie out, wear sunscreen to at least give you skin some protection from the sun. Sunscreen should be worn at all times- not just when you’re at the beach or on the tanning deck. Fair-skinned Floridians especially should consider putting on a layer of sunscreen before heading to class. Remember to drink enough water and try to have a healthy diet free of greasy foods. It may be tempting to pick up cheap cleansers and moisturizers, especially on a college student’s budget, but your skin is something that is worth investing in. After all, unlike shoes, purses, and cars, your skin is going to last for a lifetime, whether it is smooth or leathery. Consider stopping by the Lancome counter next time you are at Oaks Mall as they have one of the best selections of high quality moisturizers.

If you are still determined to tan, at least put sunscreen with a high SPF on your face and wear a hat!
You can make always your face look tanner by using bronzer and foundation and a sun hat could be the perfect summer accessory. College students may be reluctant to lather on the sunscreen and wear hats at the beach, but it really will make a huge difference. Take a second to look down at the backs of your hands, the tops of your forearms, your face, and your neck. Think about having lines all over those areas in only a few short years- as they are the most common places for wrinkles to appear, if you don’t protect your skin now and take steps in wrinkle prevention, those areas being covered in wrinkles could be your reality. So put on your monogrammed sun hat, don your pastel cover up, apply sunscreen, and allow your face a small smile at being smart and preventing wrinkles.