Style Icon Predictions for 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Every year new women emerge and become known for their personal style and now, thanks to street style bloggers, fans and admirers get to see how these women dress it up on the red carpet and dress it down on the streets.  If 2011 was any indicator of these ladies’ rising star power, I think 2012 could be a very bright year for the six women below.  Ranging from 13-year-old actress Elle Fanning to 23-year-old magazine editor Julia Sarr-Jamois, these women may have different styles, but one thing they all have in common is the power to rock personal style no matter the occasion.  So, keep an eye on these starlets, because they could be even bigger names in the fashion world by 2013.

Kate Foley
Kate’s day job is a buyer for Opening Ceremony in New York. Over the fall and spring fashion months, she was constantly snapped by street style photographers, which prompted inside looks into her ultra-stylish apartment.  Her design aesthetic is amazing, and her personal style radiates not only in her outfit choices but also in her funky and fun apartment.  A native Brit, Kate is known for her chunky shoes and loose dresses, not to mention her gorgeous wavy blond hair.  Come February, I think we will see this girl everywhere on the street style sites, and I’m excited to see what kind of outfits she rocks this year.  Check out her eclectic and cool-girl style in the video below where she picks out her favorite cotton pieces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGoRZI89GY

Emma Stone
2011 was the year of Emma Stone.  Whether she was starring in the hit movie “The Help” or running around with her new (and hunky) “The Amazing Spider-Man” co-star and boyfriend Andrew Garfield, Emma seemed to have it all, but 2012 could provide even more for her.  Academy Award nominations will be announced soon, and “The Help” is rumored to be in the running for at least a couple categories.  Her Spiderman movie is sure to be another blockbuster smash, and with all the press, Emma will have to return to the red carpets to rock her now-famous personal style.  Known for her bright lip colors and her fun yet feminine dresses, she turned heads in her orange Calvin Klein gown that was simple but made a statement and her bold-patterned Lanvin dress.  She made almost every best dressed list, and my favorite part about her style is she goes for the unobvious choices that make her stand out.  If 2011 was any indication of her red-carpet power, I think we will be seeing a whole lot more of Emma whether it’s on the pages of Vogue or at red carpet premieres.

Elle Fanning
Known for her performances in “Super 8” and “Somewhere,” this 13-year-old is cute, stylish and has better personal style than most women double her age.  However, the best part about her is she likes dressing like she’s 13.  In a time when teenagers are dying to look older, Elle embraces her youth, and while I don’t know many average teenagers who get to wear Chanel or Rodarte on a regular basis, she still rocks her own personal style through her designer clothing.  Elle was the face of Marc by Marc Jacobs and starred in the brand’s ads this season, not to mention she was styled by Rodarte designers Kate and Laura Mulleavy for a fashion video titled, “The Curve of Forgotten Things.”   The Mulleavy sisters also styled her for A Magazine, where designers curate each edition, an appearance that marked only one of many of her editorial spreads this year.  To add to her growing fashion resume, Fanning and her sister, Dakota, were featured prominently in Vogue’s Best Dressed issue, landed a cover on W Magazine, and Elle scored a cover with Teen Vogue and LOVE Magazine.  What will the fashion future hold for this lovely teen?  I don’t know about you, but I’m excited to see.

Hailee Steinfeld

Although this 15-year-old Hollywood starlet might have a few years on Elle Fanning, she is still setting out to get an early start in the fashion world.  Known for her performance in “True Grit,” Hailee will be Juliet in an upcoming remake of “Romeo and Juliet.”  Her acting was impressive in the Coen brothers’ remake, but as far as fashion goes, it was her choice to wear a Prada dress to the 2011 SAG Awards that landed her in the sights of designer Miuccia Prada.  After attending her first season of fashion shows, Hailee became the face of the incredibly popular brand Miu Miu. Posing with glittery shoes and brooding near train tracks, Hailee gained a lot of attention and even landed a cover of LOVE Magazine and an editorial in Vogue with famed model Natalia Vodianova and her teen-fashion comrades Elle Fanning and Chloe Moretz.  With new movies in the works, we could be seeing a lot of her on the red carpet in 2012, and I’m excited to see her take glamour and put her own spin on it like she did when she mixed a Marchesa dress with Converse shoes.

Rooney Mara

If the fashion world gave out an award for most drastic but positive change in 2011, I think Rooney Mara would win hands down.  Rooney underwent a huge personal style change to transform from “The Social Network” stunner Erica Albright to Lisbeth Salander or the girl with the dragon tattoo.  Her look before she got cast in David Fincher’s American version of the famous and provocative novel was safe and understated often including lots of pastel colors and ruffles.  Now Rooney has piercings, short black hair and her role in the film has totally transformed her look.  She went from a pretty but safe starlet to a hard and edgy It girl, but it’s the chameleon-like way she rocked her new look that landed her praise and a cover of Vogue.  With awards season underway, Rooney will be making lots of appearances for “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” and I have a feeling all eyes are going to be on this young Hollywood actress to turn out some awesome edgy looks.

Julia Sarr-Jamois
Avid street-style followers would probably recognize her by her awesome Afro, but it’s just the tip of the iceberg; Julia radiates personal style from her hair to her toes.  The 23-year-old editor of British magazine Wonderland is often swarmed by style photographers when she makes her way to fashion shows.  She’s known for her bold color choices and on-the-go looks that are both professional and fun.  Julia was featured in Vogue’s Best Dressed issue, and while she may not be a household name, on the streets during fashion week Julia takes on A-list style status.  In less than a month, I have a feeling she’ll be taking over all the fashion sites for best dressed at the fashion shows.