sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Stranded for Spring Break? No Worries!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Little to no plans for your spring break? Fear not! If you live in Florida, you’re in luck—spring break is likely a drive away. Here are some of the best spots based on the city you live closest to. 

Jacksonville

If you live in Jacksonville, you have plenty of options to choose from. 

1. Neptune Beach 
  • A 30-minute drive from the heart of Jacksonville, Neptune Beach offers a wide variety of different activities for day-trippers. There are a ton of different restaurants, shops, boutiques and events. Not to mention, the sunrises and sunsets at Neptune Beach are hard to beat. The average beachgoer can enjoy tanning, swimming, biking and building sandcastles at this beautiful beach.
  1. Fernandina Beach 
  • Located on Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach boasts some of the most enjoyable beach conditions on the Atlantic Coast. The beach consists of 13 miles of beautiful water, boutiques, restaurants and even an annual shrimp festival that attracts visitors from all over. 
  1. Ponte Vedra Beach 
  • Ponte Vedra Beach is often known for golf. With that being said, the beach (located 30 minutes from Jacksonville) has plenty of amenities. From luxurious shops, to incredible food, Ponte Vedra Beach really has it all. There’s even a dog-friendly beach, Mickler’s Landing, that is a perfect destination for your furry companion. 

Orlando 

While Orlando isn’t as close to the coast as Jacksonville is, there are still plenty of beaches within an hour’s drive. 

1. New Smyrna Beach 
  • Notoriously known as the “Shark Bite Capital,” New Smyrna Beach offers more to visitors than just its terrifying nickname. NSB is the perfect beach town, with tons of restaurants, shops and surfing, mostly locally-owned. Flagler Avenue is home to most of these shops, only steps away from the beach. South of Daytona, New Smyrna is the perfect destination for people looking for a slightly quieter beach setting. 
  1. Ormond Beach 
  • About an hour from Orlando and north of Daytona, Ormond Beach is a great place for those who want to avoid the touristy beaches near Daytona. Not only does Ormond Beach have some of the most enjoyable atmospheres for tanning, but the surrounding town also has tons of cute shops and gardens to explore. 
  1. Melbourne Beach
  • Although about an hour and twenty minute drive from Orlando, Melbourne Beach is one of the most quiet beaches on the Atlantic Ocean. Located between the Atlantic Ocean and Indian River, Melbourne Beach is a sunbather’s dream. With soft sand and little crowds, Melbourne Beach is one of the most enjoyable beaches for people searching for a peaceful beach trip. 

Tampa

Just like Jacksonville, Tampanians are extremely lucky when it comes to the beach scene. There are plenty of beautiful beaches located extremely close to the city. 

1. Clearwater Beach 
  • The name says it all. Located on the West Coast, Clearwater Beach has some of the best ocean conditions possible. The waves are calm and crystal clear, making it a perfect spot for people who enjoy swimming. Clearwater has a variety of shops and restaurants for beach goers to choose from as well. It’s nearly impossible to get bored on a daytrip here! 
  1. Sarasota 
  • Sarasota is unique, as the town connects to a variety of islands. Lido Key is home to St. Armands Circle, a beautiful shopping area that holds tons of shops and restaurants. Siesta Key has a variety of shopping options as well, and beautiful, large beach areas. 
  1. Anna Maria Island
  • Anna Maria Island is a quaint town with a lot of life and beautiful beaches. The town boasts several shops and good eats, as well as a wide variety of beaching areas. The water is relatively calm and perfect for swimming, snorkeling and even boogie boarding. 

Miami

Quite honestly, if you live in Miami, spring break is in your backyard. Here are some of the top attractions you might want to check out. 

1. South Beach
  • One of the most popular destinations in Miami, South Beach is home to a fun, party-heavy beach, as well as a large nightlife scene. South Beach has tons of shops, food, bars and clubs to keep any college student satisfied over spring break. South Beach is also home to the Art Deco District, which offers walking tours and tons of Instagrammable scenery. 
  1. Design District
  • The Miami Design District, while expensive, is very enjoyable to visit. Whether or not you have the money to spend, the aesthetics alone make the trip worth it. Luxury shops only steps away from the water, combined with the colorfully designed buildings and sculptures are the perfect recipe for a day feeling like a celebrity. 
  1. Little Havana 

Little Havana is a great destination to get familiar with Latin culture. There are a variety of tours (walking, food, etc.) that can help you immerse yourself in the culture. Artistically, musically and culturally, Little Havana has it all for people interested in exploring the surrounding area. The Calle Ocho Music Festival this March is also held in Little Havana, a great celebration of Latin culture.

Jane R

UFL '23