This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

How many times have you been asked about current events or for your thoughts on an ongoing issue? How often have you also had to nod awkwardly in agreement or just make up an opinion? 

More than simply avoiding awkward conversations, staying up to date on the news vital for being a well-informed global citizen. We can get so caught up in our own lives and problems that we sometimes forget about what is happening in the larger context of the world. Through staying well-informed, we can understand how other people live and stay updated on local happenings.

Here are some tips to stay date on politics and current events without ever watching the news or opening a newspaper.

Sign up for a daily news email

All you have to do is subscribe once, and every day you will find a daily news update in your inbox. As you sip your morning coffee, take 10-15 minutes at the beginning of your day to debrief on the daily news. If you don’t have time in the morning, you can update yourself with your evening tea.

Some great daily news updates include The Skimm, New York Times and Need 2 Know.

Subscribe to a podcast

Podcasts are so fun and convenient. You can get your daily news in while walking to class, driving somewhere or even as you are getting ready for your day. Podcasts vary in length and tone so listen to a few before deciding which you want to add to your daily routine.  Grab your phone and your headphones and you are all set!

Some popular podcasts to explore include The Daily, Daily News Briefing, Up First, The Journal and The Globalist.

Scroll through news-centric social media outlets 

This may sound counterintuitive, but there are social media accounts you can follow to stay updated on the news. 

On Instagram, check out NBC News, ABC News, BuzzFeed World News, Fox News, E-News, CBS News, AP News and The Guardian

On Facebook, subscribe to Global News, ABC News, CNN, Newsmax and Zee News. 

On Twitter, check out  BBC Breaking News, The New Yorker, E! News, Need2Know and Breaking News

On Snapchat, explore The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Stay Tuned, NowThis and The Telegraph.

As you check out these sources, try to listen to a variety of perspectives and newscasters. As always, it so important to hear as many different voices as possible to avoid media bias and gain a more complete and holistic perspective on what is really occurring.

Adina Hirsch is a senior at the University of Florida. She is studying economics and psychology in hopes to attend law school to become a public defender. Adina is passionate about cold brew coffee, juvenile justice, and new experiences.