This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Annoying. Uncomfortable. Suffocating. And last but not least, visually unappealing. These are some of the words you might hear thrown around on a daily basis by people discussing the latest and most unfortunate trend: masks.

Usually, a fashion trend is in style for its appearance. In this case, masks aren’t in style by choice. Rather, they are a safety precaution. With the widespread COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S., masks are the first line of defense to keep yourself and others safe and healthy. Even though masks may not be people’s first choice for a fashion statement, we might as well start embracing the use of them. What better choice do we have than to make the best out of an abnormal situation?

At this point, it would be hard to find someone who didn’t know what the standard mask looks like. Before COVID-19 became prominent, the first place I related to seeing these masks is a dentist’s office. Now, I see these masks just about everywhere I go. It’s safe to say these masks wouldn’t be anyone’s first choice to wear for hours on end. I know from experience that leaving my mask on a dinner table often results in my mask ending up in a puddle of water, being blown away or ending up on the floor. With my passion for all things related to fashion, I knew I had to find a way to embrace the use of masks. Now, I am happy to say I have fully embraced the use of masks. In fact, my friends always ask me why I leave my “mask necklace” on for so long after I come home.

The best part about styling your mask is that they aren’t hard to find. Just about any shop or fashion business, big or small, is selling masks. In the market for some new, stylish masks? Here are some of my recommendations:

Etsy will always be my go-to website because it is so easy to find just about anything you want at a cheap price from an individual seller. And who doesn’t love well-crafted, homemade goods? I’d highly recommend these masks to any Florida Gator looking to show their orange and blue pride, especially with football season just kicking off! Pun intended. The best part about these masks is that they come with adjustable elastic. I constantly feel like my masks don’t fit tightly enough around my ears or fit my face properly, but these masks do just the trick!

If you are looking to design a mask in bulk, Clothes On is the place to check out! Just about any club and organization who previously had custom t-shirts, sweatshirts and shorts is now adding masks to that list! What better way to wear a mask than by sporting your favorite club’s name or logo embroidered right onto it? Clothes On has a wide range of colors, and it even has a tie dye collection to stay right on track with current trends.

Nordstrom Rack always hits the spot! There are so many mask options to choose from, and there are also sets that feature different colors and patterns. The above set includes four masks for just $20! Nordstrom Rack does a great job of keeping up with the latest patterns that are in style.

Selling at $15, Diop sells what is probably one of the widest varieties of patterned face masks. You can even check its selection out on Instagram! Just a warning, though, sometimes the cotton-like material of these stylish face masks can make people feel overheated or uncomfortable. However, Diop does a great job of selling chic masks that seal under the bridge of the nose in order to promote comfort.

For my last recommendation, I of course had to pick another one of my Etsy favorites! Alongside the increased need for masks came the style invention of the mask chain. Bringing a mask from place to place can often feel like a burden, and I admit that I’m guilty of having to turn back around to grab my mask after accidentally leaving it at home or laying around somewhere. This invention allows people to connect their mask to a chain and wear it around their neck, so they never lose or forget it! Not only that, but now your mask can look just like a necklace! The mask chain is an ultimate game changer, and this pearl chain from Etsy is just $7.99 and comes in multiple colors. I highly recommend hopping on this trend!

In my opinion, the best way to turn around a bad situation is to find the possible good. At the end of the day, the uncertainty that comes with COVID-19 frustrates me, and I’ve learned that so much is out of my control. However, I do have control over my own actions, which is why I make sure to wear a mask whenever deemed necessary. In order to embrace the negative consequences of a pandemic, I might as well stay in style! Fashion can always turn a bad situation good, and this is no exception.

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.