Stars Among Us: Allison Schaper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Allison Schaper

Major: Telecommunication-production

Hometown: Orlando, FL

Social: @allisonschaper

There are Hidden Mickeys everywhere in Disney World if you look for them. The same is true for our very own campus. Allison Schaper is no ordinary telecom student at UF.  While she aspires to have a career in the creative aspects of electronic media and entertainment, that isn’t all she has to offer.   When she was 17, she became a cast member at Disney and just a little more than a year ago, she began creating content for her YouTube channel and personal website. The YouTube channel gives viewers lifestyle, beauty and college advice as well as a peek into her personal adventures. Her website, allisonschaper.com, gives viewers a deeper look into her life by providing details about her travel, likes, dislikes and personal faith. Her Campus UFL recently asked Allison some questions regarding her ventures and career goals.

HerCampus [HC]: What made you decide to start your YouTube channel? Do you plan to continue it past college?

Allison Schaper [AS]: Last semester, one of my telecommunication-production professors said that every student studying TV should have a YouTube channel. At this time, I had already created a few videos, but I was really putting YouTube on the backburner. Once my professor said this, it really set a fire in me and from then on, I made YouTube more of a priority in my life.

When I first started my channel, I did not have any specific purpose in mind. However, I soon realized (that) creating content for college has been my biggest success on YouTube.

I definitely plan on continuing to make YouTube videos after college and (I) am excited to share the content that I have planned.

HC: What are the benefits of creating a YouTube channel?

AS: Creating a YouTube channel not only provides another creative outlet, but you can even monetize your videos to create a source of income, which is definitely a plus while in college.

HC: Do you think creating your channel influenced your college experience in any way?

AS: Definitely! Creating my channel has helped me to see the bigger picture and gear my focus towards something other than my assignments in class. I believe it’s important to grow as a student and do well in school; however, what you do out of the classroom is what will really set you apart and give you a head start in your life after college.

HC: When did you start your personal website? What is the goal of the site?

AS: I created my personal website almost exactly a year ago. I wanted a place on the Internet where I could group together all of my social networks, thoughts and express my faith.

HC: Has your channel or website influenced your future career plans in anyway?

AS: Both my channel and especially my website (have) been an influential tool in standing out while applying for jobs and internships. My last employer actually said I scored my internship before I even came in to interview simply because I had created a website and social networking channels that expressed myself authentically. The employers were able to know me before even meeting me face-to-face.

HC: Do you have any advice for anyone wanting to create their own website and/or YouTube channel?

AS: First things first, you need to begin. People get so caught up in the daydreaming stage that sometimes people get comfortable and end up staying there. It’s time to stop daydreaming and make the first move. Putting yourself out there isn’t easy. There will certainly be times when you are embarrassed or discouraged. However, the triumphs and journey will be well worth it, especially if it is a passion. Go live your dreams.

Be sure to check out Allison’s YouTube and website. A sneak peek is below.

Photo Credits:

Allison Schaper

Tranelle Maner is a senior at the University of Florida. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in film and media studies. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Editor-in-Chief of a magazine as well as becoming a social media strategist for a large brand or company. She has a passion for podcasts, watching too many cooking videos and scrolling through social media. In her free time she enjoys writing different reaction and opinion articles as well as trying new recipes.