jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks Barista Kiersten Clark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Kiersten ClarkAge: 19Year: sophomoreMajor: telecommunication on the news track

Her Campus: How long have you worked at Starbucks on campus and why did you start?Kiersten Clark: “I’ve been working here since fall of last year, which was my freshman year, and I’ve just been working every semester since then. I started working at Starbucks because my parents thought it would be a good idea to make some extra money for myself. I think to be able to balance work and school has great benefits in the long run.”

HC: What is your favorite drink at Starbucks?KC: “Oh, that’s a tough question. Frappuccinos are actually really annoying to make, so I wouldn’t say that. They actually take a lot longer to make. I’m going to have to go with the caramel macchiato. Everyone gets those, but it makes sense because they are just so good.”

HC: What is the weirdest drink you have ever had to make?KC: “Some people get matcha water, which in my opinion is really gross. It’s basically matcha powder, which is green tea powder, in water. I guess people get it to save calories, like they don’t get milk with the powder, they get water.”

HC: What was the strangest experience with a customer that you can recall?KC: “Once a girl ordered a green tea Frappuccino like 10 minutes before close. We had run out of whipped cream, which we make from scratch, and I wasn’t about to make a whole other batch just for her. So when I handed her the drink I apologized and explained why there wasn’t whipped cream on her drink. The girl literally goes, ‘What? This is not what I ordered. I want a refund,’ and she had the nastiest, most unsatisfied and annoyed expression on her face. I mean, I get that whipped cream is good, but really? It was the strangest thing. So I gave her a refund and she left without the drink. I have never again seen anyone so appalled by no whipped cream.”

HC: What is it like to work at Starbucks in the fall, especially with the pumpkin spice latte craze?KC: “Well obviously summer is very slow. Summer is fun because we can goof off a bit and it doesn’t really matter because no one is here. But fall is just hard because we have new people working and also it’s super busy, so it’s just about balancing the stress of teaching new people while it is so busy. The whole PSL craze definitely makes it a bit more hectic in here than winter as well, but you just have to roll with it. Nights are easier than mornings usually, so I normally work nights. I’m at the point to where it doesn’t get to me. Even though there is a huge line, I know I am still going to have to keep making drinks until everyone’s gone.”

HC: Have you gotten sick of PSLs or coffee in general as a result of working at Starbucks?KC: “I actually don’t drink much coffee, but I really enjoy just working because each drink is different and unique, so I don’t really get bored of making them. You have to know what to put in each kind of drink, which can be tricky sometimes. I actually really like PSLs though. There’s a new recipe now actually. We use real pumpkin in the drink, so obviously that has sparked some commotion amongst avid Starbucks drinkers.”

HC: Do you have anything else you would like to add?KC: “A lot of people want to know what it’s like working on campus, and I actually really like it because you can give the managers the hours you’re free and they’ll give them to you. If you want to work one day a week, you can. If you want to work for two hours in between classes, you can. So I really just like how flexible the hours are. Also everyone I work with is my age so it’s really fun to hang out with them.”