Spring Into The Right Accessories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that the warmer temperatures have got us in less clothing, we’ve got to pile on the accessories. Sure, the usual flower-patterned scarves are key staples of the season, but what’s new this year? If you want to grab attention bold colors are the way to do it. Altogether, this spring’s accessories are a lot like spring itself: fun, easy and down-to-earth.

Here are HC’s top five looks to put on your shopping list.

Something Striped

Strips are always in style, but this season, designers are overboard for the nautical look. A little menswear and a little preppy, stripes embody a lot of what’s hot this spring: multi-colors, bright hues, all-American charm and freshness. If you only invest in one fantastic accessory this season, make it striped. And don’t be afraid to go with stripes other than the ordinary navy and white. Stripes in spring colors such as pink and yellow are great, too!

1.     Scarf, $17, Alloy
2.     Earrings, $40, Max & Chloe
3.     Satchel, $26.90, Asos
4.     Hat, $40, Zara

Something Color-Blocked

Say au revoir to fall neutrals and hello to bright and bold colors. The graphic color-blocking trend was a hit on the designer runways during Fashion Week, and now the same trend is apparent in vibrant bags, shoes and hats of contrasting hues. We say the brighter the better.

1.     Ring, $38, Marc by Marc Jacobs
2.     Sunglasses, $66, Endless.com
3.     Belt, $21.52, Asos
4.     Wedges, $90, Aldo

Something Sporty

If you’re on the go this spring and are spending more time outdoors, dress like it! We’re talking all-American, collegiettes — nylon, netting and neon detailing. Heels made of mesh, bags built like duffels and trendy backpacks are so fun to wear this season.

1.     Bracelet, $8, Lilly Pulitzer
2.     Wallet, $38, Kitson
3.     Heel, $55, Isabel Toledo for Payless
4.     Watch, $85, Anne Klein

Something Woven

Braiding, knitting and weaving create statement-making textures that are extremely wearable thought the warm-weather months. Whether in earthy tones or bright hues, if your bag, hat or shoes look like you picked them up from a sidewalk vendor on a South American vacation, you’ve hit this trend spot on.

1.     Bangle, $40, Topshop
2.     Belt, $30, Zara
3.     Wedges, $45, Bluefly
4.     Tote, $39, eBags

Something Python

There’s always an “it” animal print, and after going through alligator, zebra and leopard, we’ve reached python. Exotic is one of the hot looks of the season in everything from skits to shoes, and the best way to capture it is with a python accessory, especially if you can find it in a rich hue like hot pink, electric blue or bright yellow.

1.     Bangle, $10, Chico’s
2.     Watch, $75, Endless.com
3.     Satchel, $88, Jessica Simpson Collection
4.     Flats, $37, Target

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥