Peace Sign Crop Top Beach Bracelets Necklace Blonde Hair Torso Tropical
Molly Longest / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Coming from a family of avid travelers, I’ve been blissfully ignorant about how difficult planning a trip can be.

Although aware that I was lucky to be in new places, I never realized the effort and attention to detail that go into crafting the “perfect” vacation. To my dismay, it cannot be willed into existence. 

About a month ago, two friends and I sat in my living room, fixated on the idea of taking a trip together this March. Upon delving into that conversation, it was then decided that this was an excursion for the whole gang. 

Thus, began our internet quest for a sublime spring break. 

Our primary goal was deciding where we wanted to go. As undergraduate students in Florida, we wanted to remain in-state. This still left us with almost too many options. 

Do we go the traditional A24-esque route and choose Fort Lauderdale? Do we endure the brutal crowds of Orlando for the park pics?

After debating for days, we came to a satisfactory decision: we really just want to get tan in the Keys

Finding an Airbnb that fits eight guests is all about reading the fine print.

I cannot express how many times we were hovering around a laptop, thinking we had just found paradise on a budget. And then the dream would unravel.

Whether it was because the minimum booking age was 28 or the stay had to be over a month, I eventually learned two things.

One: Filters are important. We had a lot of limitations that took a painful amount of locations off the market. We’re a large group of young kids with a dog. It was slim pickings. Using the filters that the site provides may lower the bar, but it does give realistic options. 

Two: Be really honest about your budget. Finding a price point for eight individuals can be difficult and even uncomfortable. I suggest making this conversation a priority. Once everyone is on board with a unanimous budget, you’ll find a place sooner than you think. 

Our vision for the trip had to undergo a lot of edits.

Originally, we wanted to go to Key West for three days. Whether it was because we showed up to the game late, or Key West is just really strict about age limits on rentals, there were basically zero options. 

After this adjustment, we started making pros and cons lists about varying houses in Key Largo, Islamorada and Marathon. 

We pulled the trigger on a waterside place in Marathon for two nights for less than $200 a person. 

Airbnb ended up being the best resource for this specific destination.

But if you’re looking to get out of Florida, travel writer Nomadic Matt wrote a super in-depth article on travel deals that covers everything from flights to hostels. 

Luckily for me, everyone in my group is as crazy and ambitious as I am.

Although it’s borderline unrealistic, we plan on tackling Key Largo, Marathon and Key West in just three days.

I have full confidence that we’re going to make this happen. 

Bahia Honda State Park, the tarpons at Robbie’s, and those six-toed Hemingway cats are pulling me away from Gainesville.

All that’s left to do is pack and enjoy. 

Madeline is a second-year Journalism major at the University of Florida. She loves rainy days, trips that revitalize your soul, and speaking up for what she believes in. She strives to use her voice as a catalyst for conversations about the female college experience and equality for all. See more of her life on Instagram: @maduhlinemurphy & more of her work at: www.madelinenmurphy.com