Spotlight on UF’s Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Congratulations to Kappa Alpha Theta sorority for winning the “Panhellenic <3s Her Campus UFL” Valentine’s Day contest, a social media competition among some Panhellenic sororities on campus. The contest required chapters to try to get the most “likes,” comments, and shares on their respective personalized photo. Theta trumped the competition coming in first place with a total of 7,991 points. In return, a campus celebrity article will be written about its sorority representative, and HC UFL’s April event will benefit its philanthropy.

In honor of its win, we wanted to share more about Theta and what makes it such an amazing organization.

Kappa Alpha Theta, or Theta for short, was founded as the first Greek-letter women’s college fraternity at DePauw University on January 27, 1870. UF’s Delta Theta chapter, chartered in 1962, is one of more than 135 Theta chapters in the U.S. and Canada. Donning its signature colors of black and gold, Thetas at UF often pose for pictures using hand gestures that mimic a kite, the organization’s national symbol.  

Theta’s national philanthropy is the National Court Appointed Special Advocates Foundation. CASA supports abused and neglected children who are lost in judicial systems across the U.S. Last year, Theta teamed up with the gentlemen of Pi Kappa Alpha to host a “Wild and Crazy Carnival” to benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Gainesville. This year, the ladies will host an event called “Capture the Kite,” modeled after the game of capture the flag. HC UFL’s Assistant PR/Events Director Bella Zabinofsky, a 21-year-old public relations junior and member of Theta, said this is the first time they’ll do an event like this to benefit their philanthropy. “We wanted something original that everyone could have fun with,” she said.

Theta’s dedication to philanthropy doesn’t stop there. Sisters are also intense competitors in the philanthropy events of other Greek organizations. In 2011, Theta won first place in the Beta Bring It On Cheer Competition, Theta Chi Kickball, Fiji Fastball, and Zeta Beta Tau Kickball. Their dedication and competitiveness surely paid off with the Valentine’s Day social media contest, and they are proud to have rallied together to win the donation toward their philanthropy.

HC UFL’s Public Relations Director and treasurer Lisa Greenberg, a 22-year-old telecommunication senior and Theta sister, said the win made her proud to be a Theta. “The money that Her Campus is donating toward CASA will put us one step closer to our goal of helping children that are lost within the court system, and we’re all very excited about that!” she said.

Thank you to the ladies of Kappa Alpha Theta for your participation, and congratulations on your success!

Source: www.uftheta.com

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.