The Spirit of Christmas Shouldn’t Be Wrapped Around a Cup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The controversy over Starbucks and its red cups has made it onto every news and social media site these past few weeks, but if you have been MIA lately, let me fill you in. In past years, Starbucks has created festive Christmas-themed cups for the holiday months. These cups would vary each year, but would have some sort of decoration including snowflakes, ornaments, Christmas trees or reindeer. This year the cup is a very merry red color, yet the design has made many Christians furious. They are angry because they think Starbucks is being politically correct and downplaying Christmas by not including more obviously Christmas-related decorations on the cups, saying that the color red isn’t enough. Fun fact: I am a Christian and I find this entire controversy ridiculous.

I remember the exact moment I saw the red Starbucks cups in the news. I had just woken up and was checking Facebook — one of the first places you can typically see people ranting about news issues. At first glance, I didn’t understand what exactly was going on. I initially thought that non-Christians were angry that Starbucks made the cup red to represent Christmas. I had no idea that Christians were angry that the cup was not “Christmassy” enough. Amazed, I went on and read article after article about this controversy, and it made me mad. Not mad at Starbucks, but mad at these people that they would waste their time ranting about something as insignificant as a disposable coffee cup.

When someone tells you to close your eyes and think about Christmas, what do you see? I certainly hope it isn’t a cup! Christmas is meant to be a time with family and, if you are religious as I am, a time of worship and churchgoing with friends and family. It’s supposed to be a time spent with loved ones, hugs and smiles. Christmas is supposed to feel magical. If you’ve ever been to Rockefeller Center and seen the Christmas tree above the ice skating rink, then you definitely know how special this time of the year can feel.

The people who are wasting their time by complaining and causing this controversy should be ashamed, because they don’t know the meaning of Christmas. If you do happen to be one of these people, it isn’t too late. Just take a second and think about what Christmastime is supposed to mean. Think about all of the people in the world who celebrate this holiday together. Think about the people who cannot even afford to give presents to their children and friends, not only in other countries, but also in America. Do you think that these people care about the decorations on a coffee cup? Of course not.

I think many things can be gained from this controversy. I hope that everyone will realize it is silly and perhaps spend more time with their loved ones instead of worrying about insignificant items. I think that this has been a wakeup call to our nation.

So thank you, Starbucks. Thank you for showing America the true meaning of Christmas. When you take away the Christmas trees, the reindeer, the snowflakes and ornaments, what is left? Family. And that means more than any decoration ever will.

Photo credits: kvegas.com

Hey I'm Spencer! I'm a senior journalism major with a leadership minor here at UF. I love traveling to different countries, running half marathons and spending time with my friends. This past summer I had two pr and marketing internships in NYC with fashion labels JOVANI and REISS. I'll be graduating and moving back to NYC this December.