katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spending wisely: How to make that financial aid refund last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

School is back in full swing at the Swamp, and some of us are finding our pockets a bit more padded than when we started. That’s right! Financial Aid! It’s definitely tempting to blow it all away at once, but here are some things you should avoid spending all that money on:

Electronics: Unless you are in desperate need of a new computer, printer, cell phone, or TV, etc., stay away from Best Buy. Remember this money is supposed to last you until the next semester’s financial aid refund comes through or at least provide a cushion for when work money isn’t flowing in. Keep it in your pocket and out of the Apple store.

Shoes: No, you do not need another pair of high heels. No, those shoes are not must-haves. Work with what you’ve got and only get new shoes if you absolutely need them. Special occasions are a great reason to buy shoes, so reserve that special trip to the mall for a situation like that.

Clothes: As tempting as it is run into PacSun and get all the latest tanks, tees, and shorts, don’t do it. You probably have enough clothes, and your dorm room or apartment-sized closet isn’t big enough to accommodate more, so keep the money set aside for better things.

Spring Break trips: You may want to blow all that money on a trip with the girls. But what are the chances you’re going to make bad choices in Cancun? Take short and affordable day trips instead, you’ll have more memories and more money in the end.

Going out to eat: This one is the biggest no-no. Just because you can afford to eat out doesn’t mean you necessarily should. Your waistline will thank you for cooking at home and so will your energy levels. Don’t depend on Panda Express to carry you through the year; pack your lunch.

It’s fine to treat yourself every once in a while, but don’t blow the extra money you have on things you don’t need. Save it for summer school or a trip home or, you know, groceries. Think before you swipe, and you’ll have a better life overall. 

Photo Credit: 
http://cgny.davlerstatic.com/  
http://www.giphy.com/

Journalism major with a minor in education. Currently a copywriter for Infinite Energy. Twitter handle: @DiadysFig
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.