So You Think You Can Run a Half Marathon: Involvement Overload

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Yes, running is hard. But making time to run is even more challenging. Especially when you’re taking a full course load, working six hours a week and are incredibly involved on campus.
            I’ve discovered this week that scheduling time to train is my biggest challenge at the moment.
            It’s just hard to find the time to run five miles in a day when you’re on campus from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. most days of the week. And by the time that I do get home from campus, I’m so mentally and physically drained that the last thing that I want to do is run.

My greatest training concern is that I won’t be ready to run the full half marathon come March 6. And being so involved and busy with life that I can’t find the time to consistently run every day is really not helping my case.
            So this week I’ve realized that while I may have to sacrifice some sleep and social time, I really have to push through the exhaustion and chaos of life to make sure that I schedule time to train every day. I really can’t afford to take a day off when my half marathon is starting to creep up on me, so I’m kicking my time management skills into full swing from here on out.
            I’m making a vow to myself to utilize every minute in the day so that I can do all that I need to do with school, work and involvement, while also making sure that I’m getting my daily training in. I’m vowing to follow my training plan strictly, because I know that it’s going to best prepare me for my race. And, I’m vowing to take better care of myself so that I don’t get sick again during my training period.
            I don’t want to be that girl who doesn’t finish the race, and I want to feel good when I finally cross that finish line. It’s time to step up my game and kick my butt into gear – I have a half marathon to run in a little over a month’s time.

Sara Kaner was born and raised in Santa Barbara, California and first fell in love with journalism as a freshman in high school thanks to her wonderful Intro to Journalism teacher. A family move brought her to Fort Myers, Florida the summer after her freshman year of high school, but she continued to pursue an interest in journalism. She is in her second year at the University of Florida and is pursuing a dual degree in Public Relations and Psychology. She is heavily involved on the UF campus and dedicates most of her time to her various organizations and to her friends. She loves people, magazines, sports and social media, and she hopes to combine all three in her job someday. For now, she aspires to attend Law School and specialize in Media Law. She secretly aspires to be Chelsea Handler, but she's happy being herself for the moment, just as long as she can lose the freshman 15 this semester.
Hola! My name is Victoria and it is a pleasure to meet you. I was born and raised in Key West, Fla. Surprisingly; people do actually live there. I'm a fourth year journalism student at the University of Florida, and I am obsessed with food. I watch ungodly amounts of the Food Network. I love to dance, write and swim to my hearts content. I don't know what I would do without my Crackberry and listening to the Silversun Pickups makes me sane.