A Sneak Peek into Netflix’s Newest: ‘Chilling Adventures of Sabrina’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Something wicked this way comes — on October 26, to be exact.

Netflix released the official trailer for its newest original series, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and let me tell you, it was creepy.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a supernatural series based off of the Archie comic books of the same name. It comes from the producers of CW’s hit teen drama Riverdale. According to IMDb, the first season will have ten episodes.

For months, the wait for the Netflix original has left Riverdale and Sabrina the Teenage Witch fans in suspense. The trailer leaves much interpretation to the imagination, hinting at the sinister revival of the show’s 1996 counterpart.

What to expect

A match strikes. Cue the creepy music. An eerie rendition of “Happy Birthday” opens the first look into the series. This may allude to the idea that Sabrina discovers her magical abilities on the day of her birthday — presumably when turning 16, just as in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. It is likely that the show  will delve into a story about Sabrina finding a balance between  her half-mortal and her half-witch life. We can assume that the series is set around Halloween, indicated by the spooky decorations. The worldwide release date just five days before Halloween is almost too perfect.

The show seems to be a happy medium between Riverdale and American Horror Story: broody teens in high school, an aesthetically pleasing coven and a bit of macabre scenes here and there. Witches and candlelit rituals flicker across the screen. There are no goofy aunts or Salem, the talking cat, to see here. (Though, we can’t speak too soon, since a black cat appears at the end of the trailer). We also do see two female figures standing behind Sabrina as she blows out the candles on her once-floating cake.

Rather than showing a home, a sign reads, “Spellman Mortuary.” Perhaps Sabrina spends her days off from school hanging around dead bodies? Or maybe, Harvey Kinkle? Yes, Sabrina’s love interest made his appearance in the trailer, and we are already loving the pair.

The cast

A post shared by Ross Lynch (@ross_lynch) on

What most fans are probably excited about is the cast. In January, Kiernan Shipka was confirmed for the role of Sabrina Spellman. Some may remember her as the  character Sally Draper on AMC’s Mad Men. Shipka received high praise for her time playing the troubled adolescent, even receiving an Emmy nomination.

It seems as if we have more than one cast member to adore. Ross Lynch, from Disney’s  Austin and Ally, will play the role of Harvey Kinkle. Lynch recently posted a video of the cast on Instagram dancing to Drake’s “In My Feelings.” Nothing’s better than a tight-knit cast — just look at the Riverdale crew.

‘Riverdale’ meets Sabrina?

In September of last year, the CW planned to produce Chilling Adventures of Sabrina for Warner Bros. Television. During this time, there were talks about a potential crossover with Riverdale. However, since Netflix has picked it up, it is unclear as to whether or not these two entities will meet. Casted as one member in a trio of witches known as the Weird Sisters, Abbey Cowen, who actually went to the University of Florida, posted a photo on Instagram of the casts meeting each other. Chilling Adventures of Sabrina also takes place in Greendale, which Riverdale has occasionally referenced. Who knows what to think of this? Although we only know that Netflix has already signed the show for two seasons, there’s still a possibility for Bughead to meet, um, Spinkle?

Jacqueline joins Her Campus UFL as a features editor. The fourth-year journalism student hopes to pursue a career in magazine print. She channels her inner Rory Gilmore through her writing and pop culture references.