Style > Beauty

Selena Gomez’s Rare Beauty Just Launched, and I Got to Try It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Rare Beauty dropped exclusively at Sephora this month. As a beauty advisor, I got to play around with the hotly anticipated line in the store and bring home the foundation, blush and primer.

Lipsticks flew off the shelves despite the mask mandate. Droves of women came in for complexion products even though we had no testers out. The beauty world was buzzing with excitement for the biggest beauty launch of the year.

The brand’s mission is to empower everyone to embrace their beauty and be their full authentic selves. They also seek to promote the access of mental health resources. Their goal? Raise $100 million over the next ten years, according to a press release.

Rare’s products are ethical too—they’re entirely vegan and free from animal testing. The line features face, eye, brow and lip products.

Oh, and every product is under $30.

After trying the products over the last few weeks, these are the three standouts from the line.

Rare Beauty Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation

The main attraction seems to be the Liquid Touch Weightless Foundation ($29). The foundation range boasts 47 colors in warm, cool and neutral undertones. It’s a huge number for an initial release. The range is diverse, so most people can find a match.

The foundation supports the brand’s claim to enhance rather than hide one’s natural beauty. The product lives up to its description. It has a natural finish and provides medium-to-full coverage while feeling weightless and looking barely there.

I have a combination skin type with a few acne spots and scars I like to cover. I like to use a brush to get the best coverage as it’s buildable. It’s great at evening out redness, but I can still see my freckles. The foundation has a doe-foot applicator and feels just as weightless as it’s advertised to be. The best part of the foundation is its non-cakey satin finish. The product is best suited for someone who wants their skin to look natural.

It’s a natural finish, so dry skin types will need to prep the skin with a good moisturizer and oily ones will need a mattifying primer and powder. It’s not an oil-free formula, so the foundation will need a good shake before use.

Soft Pinch Liquid Blush

Available in eight shades, the Soft Pinch Liquid Blush ($20) is long-lasting and blends beautifully. It’s a liquid formula with a doe-foot applicator that has both dewy and matte finishes.

You only need a small amount as the formula is extremely pigmented. I like to start off with a tiny dot on the back of my hand and use a damp sponge to blend it out quickly, one cheek at a time. It melts into the skin and gives a natural, healthy flush. And once it sets it doesn’t move.

Lip Souffle Matte Lip Crème

The Lip Souffle Matte Lip Crème ($20) has 12 colors and is as weightless and non-cakey as the foundation. As a beauty advisor, I have tried my fair share of matte lipsticks. This one feels surprisingly velvety and non-drying on the lips while still looking matte.

The formula is still hydrating because it’s whipped with a blend of botanical ingredients and vitamin E. Due to its nourishing properties, it’s not transfer-proof and takes a few minutes to set to a matte finish. However, it doesn’t settle into fine lines and looks soft and smooth on the lips.

UFL Journalism 2021' Carissa Costello is an empathetic and passionate advocate. Through her honest writings, she strives to empower people to reach their full potential. Also, she works part-time as a beauty advisor for Sephora. She is passionate about helping women and sharing expertise in beauty, fashion and wellness. When she's not testing lipstick and researching new products, you can find her reading or sipping a cappuccino in her local café.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.