This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Thanks to the increased boredom and isolation at the beginning of the pandemic, many people have felt more intrigued by the hidden mysteries of celebrities. I am one of those people who spends a little bit too much time online following my favorite stars, which led to me finding the Deuxmoi account on Instagram.

Last summer, after seeing a discussion about the account on TikTok, I quickly followed @deuxmoi to see what it was all about. The account is private, but the anonymous woman who runs the account accepts everyone who requests her.

Deuxmoi began as a small lifestyle blog that was first started around eight years ago. On March 21 of last year, the anonymous owner of this mostly inactive account decided to post a story asking for any celebrity gossip. At the time of her initial question, the account only had 45,000 followers, as the original blog was not in operation anymore. To the surprise of the account’s owner, the responses to the question caused her page to explode in popularity.

Suddenly, everyone wanted to know more details about the inside life of celebrities, from Chris Evans to Lionel Richie. Now, almost a full year later, the Instagram account has 815,000 followers and is even followed by tons of celebrities.

It seems like the majority of these stars follow the account to keep up with what it has to say about them. Just a few weeks ago, Gigi Hadid posted a story correcting a post from the Deuxmoi page.

One of the main sources of content on the Instagram account comes from people sending in sightings of their favorite celebrities. After someone sent in a supposed picture of Gigi Hadid, she was quick to clarify that the picture was not actually of her.

Other celebrities seem intent on finding out the true identity of Deuxmoi. In December, Hailey Bieber posted an Instagram story claiming that she knew who ran the mysterious account, which shows just how impactful this page has become. The anonymous owner of Deuxmoi has made it clear that she wants to focus on discussions surrounding popular culture rather than her identity.

The rise of Deuxmoi has now changed how social media can be used to gossip and spread drama. The page consists of Instagram stories, which work to highlight unverified tips sent in by followers of the account. Although it is impossible to know for sure if the content is accurate, it is still interesting to read potential news.

The owner also crosses out a lot of the content in direct messages she posts to protect the identities of the individuals involved. Therefore, the gossip is like a puzzle, which is usually very difficult to figure out on your own. This has led to the creation of multiple side accounts on places such as Reddit or Facebook to further discuss the more confusing pieces of content.

The growth of this account is insane, and I now have many friends who are just as invested in the mystery of Deuxmoi as I am. Having the ability to be a part of a somewhat private page and gaining access to secret information is a unique opportunity only found through pages such as this one.

Although I’m one of the thousands of people who enjoy reading and keeping up with this type of content, sometimes I do worry that this obsession with celebrity gossip has gone way too far. I think it is important to focus on finding a balance in your own life, so you are not too focused on every move of someone else’s inner life. There’s nothing wrong with being somewhat invested and romanticizing the celebrity lifestyle, as long as you keep in mind this drama and excitement is not reality.

It’s unclear as to how long Deuxmoi will be popular, but I am definitely enjoying it for the time being.

Minna is an English major at the University of Florida. She is a features editor for Her Campus UFL.