Style

From the Screen to Your Closet: 5 Looks Inspired by Your Favorite Retro Girl Bosses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” just concluded its second season and “Mad Men” ended its seventh and final season back in 2015, but the two shows are compared endlessly for their timeless appeals and leading ladies.

Though “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” and “Mad Men” take place in the 50s and 60s respectively, there’s a lot of overlap in the portrayal of culture, gender inequality and classism.

What really ties the two fan favorites together is the never-ending fight from the iconic women who bring the shows to a whole new level. It’s because of these women that these shows are revered for being classics and among the greatest period dramas of all time in the world of television, and perhaps some of the most iconic in the world of fashion.

The fashion and classic personal styles from each of these characters bring personality to their roles. Here are five ways to style your closet after your favorite female characters from “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” and “Mad Men.”

Midge Maisel

The namesake star of “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” Midge Maisel’s fashion is no exception to the term “marvelous.” Fans everywhere adore her timeless style with her iconic colorful coats, dresses and hats.

Pair wide shorts with a fitted elegant top, or a patterned shift dress for the perfect outfit for a summer day in the Catskills. For a night out at the comedy club or strolling the streets of Manhattan opt for long fitted dresses that accent your waist. I’m personally not a fan of kitten heels, but these mid-heels are the perfect way to bring the 1950s kitten heels into the 21st century with block heels. Don’t forget –– you can’t wear Midge-inspired style without her classic coat. 

Get the Keep It Elegant Double-Breasted Cape Coat in Army Green from Chic Wish. ($105.00)

Get the Windowpane Check Shift Dress from Tommy Hilfiger. ($139.50)

Get the Anne Klein Women’s Long Sleeve Belted Button Front Printed Mesh Dress from Amazon. ($79.83) 

Get the Women Drape Shorts in Pink at UNIQLO. ($29.50)

Get the Women Rayon Short-Sleeve Blouse in White at UNIQLO. ($29.50)

Get the ASOS Design Wide Fit Stardust Pointed mid heels at ASOS. ($56.00)

Susie Myerson

When most people think of the fashion from “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” they typically will imagine the long-fitted dresses, stunning coats, and colorful hats –– without a thought of Susie Myerson. The looks worn by the aloof manager of the Gaslight were truly ahead of its time. Newsboy caps and wide leg trousers, Myerson’s wardrobe staples, are some of the biggest trends of 2019 so far. Pair those with the timeless moto-style jacket and boots, and you are not only channeling the 2019 Susie Myerson but on trend for 2019! 

Get the It Takes Two Jacket from Free People. ($98.00)

Get the ASOS Design Button Pocket Wide leg PANTS from ASOS. ($24.00)

Get the Striped Ribbed Mock Neck Crop Tee from Romwe. ($5.95)

Get the Brixton Fiddler Cap from Nordstrom. ($42.00)

Get the Indigo R.D. Giord Motorcycle Bootie from DSW. ($44.98)

Peggy Olson

It took Peggy six seasons to fully develop her look, but every look along the way included patterns.

Take a cue from Peggy and don’t be afraid to mix multiple patterns and prints. When mixing patterns, choose one dominating pattern and one pattern to serve as an accent. Scarves are a great versatile accent to start with.

Tie the scarf as a headband, a bow on your purse, or wear it around your neck, tied under the collar of your shirt or dress. To fully channel Peggy in 2019 layer, layer, layer. Whether it’s a long sleeve T-shirt, turtle neck or your average sweater, layer a patterned dress over the long shirt and voila, you’re Peggy Olson incarnate. 

Get the Black Faux Leather Ankle Boot from Pretty Little Thing. ($62.00) 

Get the Polka Dot Kerchief Scarf from Anthropologie. ($28.00)

Get the Check Button Front Pinafore Dress from Nordstrom. (40.80)

Get the Topshop Check Print Pinafore Dress from Nordstrom. ($68.00)

Get the Gandino handbag in Midnight Black from ALDO. ($55)

Joan Holloway

Whoever said work attire cannot be sexy has never seen Joan Holloway. There is never a hair out of place, everything is tailored perfectly, and she walks with perfect posture, confidence and class while working on her feet in heels practically all day!

Joan has showed us time and time again how to be a boss in the office, even when you’re not the boss. Like Joan, dresses will be your best friend to highlight all of your curves, while still looking professional and polished. Look to bold colors like pink, red and blue to stand out. Go for fit and flare dresses, wrap dresses and even select jumpsuits to complement your figure with Joan-level confidence no matter where you go. 

Get the For the Frills Royal Blue High-Low Wrap Dress from Lulu’s. ($55.00)

Get the Bethanie Red Lace Halter Jumpsuit from Lulu’s. ($69.00)

Get the Michael Kors Paloma Metallic Heel Platform Sandal from Nordstrom Rack. ($89.97)

Get the Aurillac Roll Flap Clutch from Charming Charlie. ($7.20)

Megan Calvet

If there is one thing that we learned from Megan Calvet, it’s that your style does not have to be defined by one niche look.

Her style evolved as her career did, sporting colorful shift dresses in her days as the receptionist at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce and later assistant to Don Draper. But once her marital status changed, so did her personal style. She embraced the glamour head-on as she took the plunge to begin her career as an actress.

One of Megan’s most iconic recurring styles was sheer, puffy sleeves, first seen in her rendition of “Zou Bisou Bisou,” at Don’s surprise 40th birthday party. Mix and match glam pieces with work-appropriate attire like the black DKNY Button-Detail Peplum Mini Skirt, to never repeat a look, in or out of the office. 

Get the Henna Drop Earrings from BaubleBar. ($20.00)

Get the Kenneth Cole New York Lex 3 Sandal from Nordstrom Rack.($89.97)

Get the DKNY Button-Detail Peplum Mini Skirt from Macy’s. ($39.50)

Get the Crop Mock Neck Mesh Yoke & Sleeve Blouse from Shein. ($9.00)

Trends change all the time, but style is forever. 

*Prices are subject to change from the time of publication of this article. 

Carolina is a third-year journalism major at the University of Florida. After graduation, she plans to reunite with her one true love— New York City. NYC bound, Carolina hopes to, one day, work for one of Hearst’s many magazine publications (*cough, cough* ELLE or Cosmo. She’s honestly not picky; she just wants to be employed) as a Social Media Director. In her rare free time, you can either find her in second-home and first love, Orlando, Florida, or running around town looking for something to write about.